What makes macs better at creating things?

lpn

Reaction score
Sorry for the n00b question, but what exactly makes a mac better for video editing and image manipulation? Is it the operating system, or is it the hardware?

Which would work better? A mac running photoshop or the same mac with xp on bootcamp running photoshop?

It has been repeated over and over that macs are better for creation i just wanna know why!

-thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Better is relative.

There are far more people using Avid or Premiere on PCs in the professional community.

As for the comparison, I would be interested in seeing the results to that test as well. Photoshop on my iMac seems to run faster than Photoshop on my HP at work...but once again, relative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Sorry for the n00b question, but what exactly makes a mac better for video editing and image manipulation? Is it the operating system, or is it the hardware?

Which would work better? A mac running photoshop or the same mac with xp on bootcamp running photoshop?

It has been repeated over and over that macs are better for creation i just wanna know why!

-thnx

A misconception born of truth. The old Mac chips were better at rendering graphics compared to the pc chips at the time. This was back in the 80's mind you. And it just kind of stuck. A lot of creative type jobs use macs and just upgraded them instead of switching to PC's, so you have everyone using them, then they must be better at programs used to design videos and art and photos.

Truth is, OS X can run programs Windows can't and Windows can run programs OS X can't, but both OS's that run the same programs can do so just about equally as well provided that the program is UB for OS X, so pick which one you like and go with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I think it's the environment. I believe that environment influences output. Since the mac has always had such an elegant interface, mac people created nicer output.
Or perhaps the people that are capable of creating better output, went to the mac because of it's more beautiful interface...
Chicken vs the egg!

M

MacHeadCase

Well Adobe pulled Mac development for Premiere in the late 90s early 2000s because Adobe got its panties in a bunch because Apple came up with Final Cut which was a direct competitor. They have recently started making a Mac version, I think it was announced about a year ago. So it's understandable more people work with Premiere on a Winbox than on a Mac and from what I remember of the app when I used it, Mac users didn't miss out on much. LOL

One thing no one has mentioned yet is that colour management on the Mac is far superior on the Mac than on Windoze.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
On a related (yet unrelated) track - it's like the legal profession.
you'll find a number of them use WordPerfect in lieu of MS Word because "back in the day' WordPerfect offered features useful to the field that Office did not.
Even if Office does now, many that I've spoken to still use WordPerfect because "it's what I use, my boss uses, my instructors used...".

Consider this little story:
Five monkeys are put a steel mesh cage. The cage has shower hoses mounted above it, and these are connected to a supply of iced water. A banana is suspended from the roof of the cage, and a ladder is placed beneath the banana, so that a monkey who climbs the ladder can reach the banana.

When a monkey climbs the ladder and touches the banana a trigger sets of the water system, and all of the monkeys in the cage are showered with iced water. After a period of time the monkeys learn to leave the banana alone.

One of the monkeys is then replaced. Of course, the new monkey knows nothing about the iced water, and it attempts to climb the ladder for the banana. This monkey is quickly seized by the other monkeys and there is a fight. Eventually the new monkey learns that it will be beaten up by the other monkeys if it attempts to climb the ladder.

Another of the original monkeys is replaced, and the process is repeated.

Eventually all of the original monkeys have been replaced, and none of the monkeys now in the cage have had the experience of the iced water. The iced water system is removed. However, none of the monkeys will climb the ladder. Why?

If you could ask any of the monkeys you would be given the same answer as any humans so often give,

“I don’t know, but I've been in this cage for a long time, and that's how it's always been"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well said MHC and I really do like what voiceofra posted. I see that kind of thing daily most weeks except with human beings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
On a related (yet unrelated) track - it's like the legal profession.
you'll find a number of them use WordPerfect in lieu of MS Word because "back in the day' WordPerfect offered features useful to the field that Office did not.
Even if Office does now, many that I've spoken to still use WordPerfect because "it's what I use, my boss uses, my instructors used...".

Consider this little story:
Five monkeys are put a steel mesh cage. The cage has shower hoses mounted above it, and these are connected to a supply of iced water. A banana is suspended from the roof of the cage, and a ladder is placed beneath the banana, so that a monkey who climbs the ladder can reach the banana.

When a monkey climbs the ladder and touches the banana a trigger sets of the water system, and all of the monkeys in the cage are showered with iced water. After a period of time the monkeys learn to leave the banana alone.

One of the monkeys is then replaced. Of course, the new monkey knows nothing about the iced water, and it attempts to climb the ladder for the banana. This monkey is quickly seized by the other monkeys and there is a fight. Eventually the new monkey learns that it will be beaten up by the other monkeys if it attempts to climb the ladder.

Another of the original monkeys is replaced, and the process is repeated.

Eventually all of the original monkeys have been replaced, and none of the monkeys now in the cage have had the experience of the iced water. The iced water system is removed. However, none of the monkeys will climb the ladder. Why?

If you could ask any of the monkeys you would be given the same answer as any humans so often give,

“I don’t know, but I've been in this cage for a long time, and that's how it's always been"

So who exactly are the monkeys in this story?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
LOL! nice one baggsss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Those who follow blindly and would rather form opinions based on popular belief than personal experience. Those who still believe that Macs are better at creativity than Windows PCs because "that's how it's always been" instead of reasons mentioned here.

I love that story. I've worked with plenty of these monkeys in the past.

OP
L

lpn

Reaction score
Well there it is. Thanks alot. LOL those commercials with pc v mac weren't long enuff to explain all the technicalities. It was easier just to call the PC guy a nerd over and over.

Reaction score
I used to use Premier on a PC and I couldn't stand it. After switching to Final Cut I honestly cannot envision going back. Whether that means Mac is better at creativity is debatable. I chose Mac for the integration, stability, ease-of-use and the elegance of the UI both within the OS and in it's Programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Nothing. The displays are nice though.

Anything you can do with a MAC you can do with a PC..creativity is in the person and not their tools. Your computer is a tool, the MAC just runs better IMO

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the history and monkies aside, what giulio said was what i was thinking before i even opened this thread.

when you're not cursing at your tools it's easier to maintain a creative mindset. anger and frustration at the world may be fuel to the creative fire, but the same felt for your medium is just a p.i.t.a.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
the history and monkies aside, what giulio said was what i was thinking before i even opened this thread.

when you're not cursing at your tools it's easier to maintain a creative mindset. anger and frustration at the world may be fuel to the creative fire, but the same felt for your medium is just a p.i.t.a.

Funny you should say that. My neighbor and I were just talking tonight about Stress and anger and how it hurts productivity. I got the chance to mention to him since going with OSX I spend almost no time getting angry and stressed and more getting work done. He understood and agreed.

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. My neighbor and I were just talking tonight about Stress and anger and how it hurts productivity. I got the chance to mention to him since going with OSX I spend almost no time getting angry and stressed and more getting work done. He understood and agreed.

Yes. A musician friend of mine had been using Cubase but spent an inordinate amount of time just dealing with problems on his PC. It's got to the point where he just doesn't even want to turn the thing on. I'm glad (huh?) to say my lack of creative productivity has nothing to do with my tools but with my own laziness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

-thnx

A few reasons:

The machines look nice, visual and creative people like something that reflects their own priorities.

The OS on average is easier to keep functional, has less technical problems.

You don't have to re-install periodically to keep the OS running fast.

The OS doesn't nag you and pop up loads of annoying rubbish, disk space, get a passport, icon cleanup wizard etc..etc..

Many professionals use it for video, art and music. So the OS has many features aimed at such people. The Audio Midi control panel for example is the best I've seen in any OS.

No annoying activation junk, sure Apple makes you register. But it doesn't require you to be online or make you phone anyone.

Buy a Mac and it doesn't come with a desktop full of rubbish like Dell or other branded PCs do.

As you've mentioned using a Mac with XP. If you had 64-bit XP and 64-Bit photoshop then working on large files would be easier if you had a lot of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
A while ago it was because of the type of processor the Mac had, and how it handled the displaying of images. Now it's just what graphics designers are used to.

The only difference now a day is how the Mac handles text, the text is much more smooth on the Mac (more like it will look when printed) unlike Windows where the text is very jagged.

Reaction score
Nothing. The displays are nice though.

Anything you can do with a MAC you can do with a PC..creativity is in the person and not their tools. Your computer is a tool, the MAC just runs better IMO

I'd have to agree and disagree. Wether its sub-conscious or not, when I use my Mac to come up with a design, it always comes out better (more creative) than when I use my PC.

Don't ask me how or why....it just happens. I guess the Mac is more than just a tool when it comes to creativity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'd have to agree and disagree. Wether its sub-conscious or not, when I use my Mac to come up with a design, it always comes out better (more creative) than when I use my PC.

Don't ask me how or why....it just happens. I guess the Mac is more than just a tool when it comes to creativity.

What if it's just perception and others think the Mac designs aren't as good as the PC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.