PC programs and their Equivalent on a Mac

J

Joeytpg

Ok guys/girls, there are a few things (programs/applications, etc.) that we regularly use on PCs that i'd really like to know the equivalent program on MAC that can allow me to do the same thing.....or let me know if mac has it's own version, like for example "MSN Office for MAC"

As you notice i'm a PC user, have been all my life, but i'm ready to switch... so there are a few things i use daily on my PC - windows XPed

here's the list, if some of you can come up with others that i might forget, please feel free to add 'em

-Outlook Express (for e-mail)
-Winzip (To compress Files)
-Msn Messenger
-Antivirus
-Browser (Explorer, i guess Safari, but any other?)
-Video (i know quick time, but can i use Real Player on MAC, i really like Windows Media Player, is there something like it?...or better?)
-Music (i know of iTunes)
-CD Burning (i use Easy CD Creator, really like it, is there a MAC version of E.CD.C?, or a better one?)
-Style XP (for changing Themes, and goofing around with the computer Appearance
-Corel Draw/Free Hand/Photoshop (i know there's Photoshop for mac, and a Free hand for mac, but is there a Corel Draw for MAC?

If you think of more, let me know.....but there are the usual stuff I use a lot on my PC, and i wanted to know the "equivalent" or if there's the SAME program but "MAC version" of it.....so that i know what do i need to get when i buy my mac, because i'll be needing them :)

thanks guys...

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
-Outlook Express (They have a Mac version I believe, Entourage is much better and so is Apple Mail)
-Winzip (Part of the OS, right or control click on the file and choose to archive/zip it)
-Msn Messenger (Mac version also, but I prefer the multi-network IM app named Proteus)
-Antivirus (Why would you need this for the mac? :) )
-Browser (Mozilla, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Explorer, iCab, Camino, Netscape, etc etc)
-Video (Quicktime, RealPlayer, MediaPlayer, plus lots and lots more)
-Music (iTunes, only one you'll want and only one you'll need)
-CD Burning (I guess it depends on what you want to do here.. iTunes, Toast, Built into OS, etc etc)
-Style XP (Shapeshifter, Candybar)
-Corel Draw/Free Hand/Photoshop (No CorelDraw that I know of, Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator, Painter, etc etc)

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Go to MacUpdate.com or VersionTracker.com and you can search until you don't want to search anymore! Lots of stuff out there :)

OP
J

Joeytpg

thanks murlyn! :D everyday that goes by i'm MORE AND MORE convinced that the Switch is gonna be as sweet as a chocolate bar!! :D

i love it! let's wait and see!! :D :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's gonna be a fun switch! It sure was for me! Very nice list Murlyn! :) :D

Reaction score
You may also want to do what I did
First of all, I just verified the programs I must have equivalents, like Safari, iTunes, Iphoto, DVD player, only few
Second, just switch, I bought an iBook
Third, now if I really need to find what a software equivalent is there for anything I just look for it (Actualloy there is not other option) and ussualy I find it

OP
M

Matt

I know what you mean joeytpg. Windows Media Player is pretty cool, with all those screens you can get.

I'm sure a powerbook/ibook would be cooler and better than my PC notebook, but I'm happy with my PC for now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.