Parallels Iso Images

Reaction score
How do I create a Parallels image?

I have a game I'd like to image so I can just click the parallels image and run it directly. I don't want to have to boot into windows then run the game from the CD.

Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How do I create a Parallels image?

I have a game I'd like to image so I can just click the parallels image and run it directly. I don't want to have to boot into windows then run the game from the CD.

Any ideas?

You can create a disk image of the CD with Disk Utility and then convert it to ISO. Then, add a CD-ROM drive to your Parallels Windows installation and specify the ISO file as the source (instead of the physical CD-ROM drive). Of course, if there is any copy protection mechanism built into the disc, it may not work once the disc is imaged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Alternatively you can use Nero to rip the game to an NRG (Nero version of an image file) and then convert it to ISO with NRG2ISO. From there, you can use Nero's ImageDrive (virtual drive) to load up the ISO and play the game from there. I haven't run into a game that Nero hasn't been able to copy yet (I use Nero 6); I store all of my PC games in ISO format for fast loading and for backup.

OP
E
Reaction score
is there anyway i can create an image that sits on my mac desktop?
for example, I have a parallels image of IE that sits on my Mac desktop. I just click and it runs IE on mac w/o having to fire up a full copy of Parallels and load up the OS.

TIA

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there anyway i can create an image that sits on my mac desktop?
for example, I have a parallels image of IE that sits on my Mac desktop. I just click and it runs IE on mac w/o having to fire up a full copy of Parallels and load up the OS.

TIA

I think you might be misunderstanding how Parallels works because it masks Windows so well at times (particularly when running in Coherence mode).

When you run IE, it is actually running on Windows within a virtual machine - you just have Windows obscured. The OS is completely loaded and Parallels is running in the background. If you want, you can install a game, start the game, right click the icon for the game in your OS X dock and click "keep in dock" and it will do exactly the same thing.

OP
E
Reaction score
I think you might be misunderstanding how Parallels works because it masks Windows so well at times (particularly when running in Coherence mode).

When you run IE, it is actually running on Windows within a virtual machine - you just have Windows obscured. The OS is completely loaded and Parallels is running in the background. If you want, you can install a game, start the game, right click the icon for the game in your OS X dock and click "keep in dock" and it will do exactly the same thing.
I think you're right... i've been doing some more research and came across a term coherence. Now how do i get an icon from windows to my dock?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you're right... i've been doing some more research and came across a term coherence. Now how do i get an icon from windows to my dock?

By default, the newest version of Parallels will put the icon of the programs you're currently running in Windows on your Dock when they are started. If you want to keep them there (regardless of whether they are opened or closed), you can right click them and choose "Keep in Dock".

If you start Parallels and boot up Windows, open up a program like IE and the icon should show up on your Dock. If not, then you either don't have the newest version of Parallels or you don't have it set to display icons in the Dock.

To set Parallels to show icons in the Dock, click the Parallels Desktop menu, click Preferences and click the Appearance tab. Check the box for "Show Applications in the Dock".

OP
E
Reaction score
By default, the newest version of Parallels will put the icon of the programs you're currently running in Windows on your Dock when they are started. If you want to keep them there (regardless of whether they are opened or closed), you can right click them and choose "Keep in Dock".

If you start Parallels and boot up Windows, open up a program like IE and the icon should show up on your Dock. If not, then you either don't have the newest version of Parallels or you don't have it set to display icons in the Dock.

To set Parallels to show icons in the Dock, click the Parallels Desktop menu, click Preferences and click the Appearance tab. Check the box for "Show Applications in the Dock".
I have the show app in dock option checked but I still can't see it in OSX...

btw, i'm running Parallels Desktop 2.5

OP
E
Reaction score
figured it out... i didn't install parallel tools...
did that and everything works fine.

Thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.