Trackpad and keyboard no longer work..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
All of a sudden today my keyboard and trackpad suddenly ceased to function. I have no explanation for this, as I was not engaging in any activity that is unusual or outside the bounds of what I ordinarily use my computer for. I was simply surfing the web and listening to music when out of nowhere I could no longer control anything. The power button still works, and I used it to force shut down the computer and reboot, which did not solve the problem. My bluetooth keyboard and mouse work fine, as do their USB equivalents, and I can't explain why this would happen. Any ideas?

And by the way, my computer is no longer eligible for warranty repair or replacement, and I do not have Applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Ive had this happen to me on a powerbook and my friend just had the one on his macbook go out, you need a new keyboard/trackpad. The way they are made if one goes out, the other stops working and the good news is that your logic board is fine because the usb mouse/keyboard work.

So basically you either need to buy a keyboard from a place that sells them and replace it yourself, or take it to apple and pay to have them replace it. I dont think there is anyway to fix this other than replacing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
i would suggest a USB mouse and keyboard for a while...if the problem doesn't go away......:/

OP
rift0065
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
Where can I buy a new keyboard and trackpad? I have also been having problems with my optical drive, so if possible I would like to replace that as well since I will have to open the case to replace the keyboard. Is there a reliable used parts seller online that could give me a reasonable price? Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
This place has parts for all macs and they have how to guides to do everything, so this should help with replacing/fixing anything you want.

http://www.ifixit.com

Im not sure of other places that sell mac parts because ive never looked for them, but im sure somebody on here will know of a few. I looked at the keyboard installation and it looks like a pretty simple thing to do, aside from taking out a bunch of screws.

Reaction score
My trackpad is actually giving out too :S its kinda frustrating...sometimes it works, sometimes it does. if im using a finger to move my cursor around, sometimes it all of a sudden stops, and goes into the two finger scrolling mode...Its only been around 7 1/2 - 8 months since ive had my macbook...any suggestions?

Edit: I'm using a mouse, but sometimes when i need to use my trackpad this happens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.