Can OSX read/write to a shared windows NTFS folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I do not believe it can write but it should be able to read.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
'Shared' as in 'on a network'? Sure it can. Browse the Network for the computer then the shared folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Any computer can write to any drive ON A NETWORK as long as the client computer is allowed the proper permissions on the host computer.

If you are talking about directly connecting an external drive via USB or FireWire formatted NTFS, you can only read. To write to this drive, it must be formatted FAT32.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Any computer can write to any drive ON A NETWORK as long as the client computer is allowed the proper permissions on the host computer.

If you are talking about directly connecting an external drive via USB or FireWire formatted NTFS, you can only read. To write to this drive, it must be formatted FAT32.

Yea, that's what i meant....
Bryan

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score

Yes, my host computer will be my desktop (WinXP Home, all drives formatted NTFS). If I set the Shared Folder to "Allow Network Users To Change My Files", OSX should be able to read/write to those folders?

Since the MBP I plan on buying only has 120GB drive, I have nearly 600GB on my desktop computer. I plan on storing my photos, music, videos on my Windows desktop and accessing them from the MBP.

Reaction score
Writing to a shared NTFS partition uses the SMB protocol. Macs come with SAMBA which is the open source implementation of SMB. It works just fine.

You don't need MacFuse or anything else. Just open Finder, click GO and select "Connect to Server" From there you list the IP address and share name. (example: smb://192.168.0.2/sharedfolder) As long as folder sharing on you Windows server is setup correctly, you will be prompted for credentials and connected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Yes, my host computer will be my desktop (WinXP Home, all drives formatted NTFS). If I set the Shared Folder to "Allow Network Users To Change My Files", OSX should be able to read/write to those folders?

This is correct. Be aware that the MacBook may ask you to sign in to the shared folder when you connect to it. Just use your Windows XP username and password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You don't need MacFuse or anything else. Just open Finder, click GO and select "Connect to Server" From there you list the IP address and share name. (example: smb://192.168.0.2/sharedfolder) As long as folder sharing on you Windows server is setup correctly, you will be prompted for credentials and connected.

I think he means you can use MacFuse to access the drive directly via USB vice over a network if desired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Yes, to directly access it via USB.

Reaction score
My macbook was up and running on my windows network in a few minutes thanks to apple talk. It functions as well on the network as any windows computer would.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.