Anyone use SMC Fan Control?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
If so, after setting the fan RPMs, does it only bump up the speed right away or only when you're working your processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Nope, heard good things about it but makes your laptop a little noiser. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
prpandey, this question is totally out of the blue, but how do you do a hyperlink just like your PopSci and PopMech?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
hagios, just go into your profile and choose the option to edit your signature. there you'll have the full compliment of tools as you would when you are posting.
so just write some text to be linked, highlight it and click the button that looks like the earth with a chain link on it and enter the site to be linked to and the forum software will add the appropriate tags, which will look something like this:

[URL="http://www.link.com"]text[/URL]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Yep, what eric said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
thanks heaps ... how about in the bosy of the post ... if you don't mind me asking again. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Same thing, look for the globe/paper clip icon. It's the easiest way.

Reaction score
OP,

I find the SMC Fan Control app to be very effective.

Basically, you set a minimum fan speed. Then, so long as the app is running (you can set it to run hidden at startup) your fan speed will never go below your set minimum.

This can be used to increase the minimum fan speed just a tad (a few hundred or so RPMs) and have virtually no noise increase unless you're in an essentially silent environment. My dorm room had a wall-AC unit, so I could set the fan speed to around 3500RPMs and still not hear it without concentrating.

Your laptop will then run cooler overall and also will have fewer fan speed "spikes" in my experience.

It's a non-invasive, intuitive, effective application. I recommend it strongly. I've never had any problems with it... maybe someone else has, but to me it doesn't seem that it could bring any harm. It doesn't allow you to set a fan speed below the default minimum, so you shouldn't be able to accidentally knock out your fans completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i agree with CBJammin

wonderful , FREE app!

OP
Scremox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
wow, very informative. kudos to you ol' chap.

Reaction score
Or you can google Fan Control. It is a preference pane which you can install, I am using it now and with my current settings(which is the highest), the fan spins up to 4500+RPM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
So... what's the maximum RPMs you all use for your MB? It seems like ~3500 RPM is the average?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.