Reformating of ailing G4 Notebook using MacBook CDs

Reaction score
I just got a new MacBook to replace my old G4 Notebook that I got second hand. The aging G4 is full of an accumulation of stuff I'd like to get rid of, so I can continue to use it for emergencies. The problem is I don't have the original reinstallation CDs to use to reformat the G4's hard drive. Is it possible to use the CDs that came with my MacBook, or am I better off just leaving it alone? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nope. The discs that came with you MacBook will only work on a MacBook and nothing else. On top of that, the discs that came with your MacBook have the Intel version of OSX, not a Universal or PPC version that would work on the G4.

You need to either find a set of discs for your G4 (check e-bay) or buy the full retail version of OSX which is Universal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thank you so much! I'm sure you saved me a lot of grief!

Besides the legal issues, and the fact that the DVD/CD that comes with most Macs is for that machine and will not work on a different model Mac, Your MacBook is Intel and needs an Intel version of OSX. Your G4 needs a Power PC version of OSX. The G4 will not even boot off the media that came with your MacBook.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.