• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

youtube: capture and save?

Reaction score
Hi. Is there an app that will let me capture a youtube video and store it on my HD? Maybe even in QuickTime format? Thanks so much.

Imagine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Reaction score
I use FLVR from http://www.tastyapps.com/ for that. works good except of the fact that they release an update like every couple days and that is kind of annoying...
release a bigger update after a couple weeks or something like that would be better imo.

oh yah: that one works with/requires Safari. Don't know about tools/plugins for other browsers though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I use FLVR from http://www.tastyapps.com/ for that. works good except of the fact that they release an update like every couple days and that is kind of annoying...
release a bigger update after a couple weeks or something like that would be better imo.

oh yah: that one works with/requires Safari. Don't know about tools/plugins for other browsers though.

or there is an easier way, in safari go to window and then activity and select the video to download, and double click it.

its usually the biggest file size. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Firefox offers a great plugin for directly saving videos from Youtube. Just search the Mozilla Plugin Directory on their site.

Reaction score
As well, the web cache may have the video. View the cache by List, and scan the file sizes for the largest — usually in megabytes.

However, all too often they disappear soon after the download finishes, so you'd have to copy/option-drag them onto the desktop fairly quickly. If you simply move them to the desktop, they still disappear. They must be copied.

If they're from YouTube, f'rinstance, you can add .flv to the name after they're copied, though VLC will open them anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The web cache route mentioned by Brown Study is probably is a good way to do it (and FREE)

The very best "pay-app" I have found is TUBESOCK... Works perfectly. It has a DEMO version and is $15 to register.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.