Font Installation Fails

Reaction score
I cannot install certain fonts, including Algerian and Alfredo's Dancer. Error message: "Problems may have been found with some fonts during installation. Serious problems were found. Do not use this font." OS X 10.4.8. Any ideas, please? Thx much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Corrupt file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
run them through font book, there is a validate font function. It'll tell you if your font is corrupt.

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually, Font Book is the application that made the complaint. I think this is probably a Mac bug: both font files work fine under Windows.

Now I'm wondering how to print a list of the fonts installed on my machine so I can let my collaborators know what fonts they can't use in documents I have to work with. Can't seem to find a way to do that, either. :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Are they OpenType or TrueType fonts?

Reaction score
The fonts may have been corrupted in the Windows box if you had transferred them from one.

This article has some information on font problems, with a link at the bottom to font fixers. Unfortunately, all of them in the list cost money.

This will allow you to print the fonts, but it's 12 bucks. There are others, and some might be free. Go to versiontracker.com or macupdate.com and search for fonts print.

But you might be able to work around the problem by opening Font Book and clicking on one of the fonts. Then in the menu bar go to File>Show Font File. When the window opens, change it to "as List" under View in the menu bar, then Hide Toobar. Take a Shift-Command-4-spacebar screenshot of the list, or crop even more out of the picture by using Shift-Command-4 and the mouse, without the spacebar. You could then print the picture listing the fonts.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi mikezzz!

Another thing to consider is, if you have a lot of fonts, you might want to use a program that is sturdier than Font Book to juggle all those fonts around and keep them in check.

At school, we use Suitcase but for home use, it's pretty costly.

FontExplorer X is free: it's a bit wonky at times (it enables fonts on its own sometimes!) but it doesn't cost much and it does what it's supposed to.

Both of those programs will look out for corrupted fonts and duplicates which could cause problems as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another vote for Extensis Suitcase :)

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah if I could afford Suitcase I would go with that instead of FontExplorer X.

You have to keep an eye on Linotype's freebie: one time I hadn't looked closely at the enabled fonts for maybe a month or so and one day I did check and I did a double-take! It had enabled about 150 fonts on its own?!? Like, wow! :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.