Apple and their hard drive company should both go to ****!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
:mad:
So, after months of reformatting every week to get my PowerBook to operate, my hard drive finally said its last few clicks. No prob, hd's are covered under warranty.
So yeah, get a new hd. THAT SAME NIGHT I GET IT BACK WITH A NEW FRIGGEN HARD DRIVE, it starts to fail, and I had to reformat. The night after, same thing.
I'm getting pissed.
What happeneds, is my hard drive starts to go click... click... click... click... instead of CLICKCLICKCLICKMOFOCLICKFASTCLICKING. And everything freezes. Time for a trip back to the Apple Store! Oh joy.
EDIT: How ironic. After I hit send, my hard drive started to fail.

T

TylerMoney

Well, I am sorry to hear that....you are very angry, but I guess that's understandable.

maybe the next one will work out...if not.....something is fishy....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I depend on my computer for homework, music, and mostly school. When I don't have it, it makes Jesus cry.
He's probably crying from lauging too hard at me though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
hmm my powerbook is the same revision as yours (i have 15" youve got 12") with zero problem....I still use my external hard drive for important things

S

starrin

Hi,

My 15 inch Powerbook keeps freezing -- I used to think it would only happen out of Sleep but last night it froze. Most of the time I can get it back again if I let it sit for a couple of hours -- not sure why this is the case.

Essentially after it freezes and I bring it back up -- a little mac icon flashes -- I assume it cannot find a bootable drive for the OS -- as it cannot see the hard drive.

However when I boot from the ROM -- the Extended Test all checks out???

Is this similar to your problem -- my powerbook is not booting as i type this.

Thanks,

Jason

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Possibly... if your Mac is under warranty get them to replace the hard drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I sent my PowerBook back to the Apple store for yet another hard drive. I'll have it back Friday. Until then, I'm on an iMac running OS 9... damnit. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
UPDATE:

I sent my PowerBook back to the Apple store for yet another hard drive. I'll have it back Friday. Until then, I'm on an iMac running OS 9... damnit. :(
Curious: what are the iMac specs?

T

TylerMoney

Well, my friend back home had to send his ibook back for the second logic board replacement..they told him this time that the problem wouldn't happen agian..they fixed the logic board for sure...now lets hope this really is for sure.

By the way Absolute Zero, what kind of hard drives have you had in your iBook?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac specs: 400 MHz PowerPC G3
Internal slot loading DVD/CD drive
256 MB RAM
13 gig HD
AirPort

And my PowerBook has had all Toshiba hard drives.

Hopefully, I'll have her (sad isn't it...) back tomorrow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Capacity: 37.26 GB
Model: TOSHIBA MK4021GAS
Revision: GA225B

Thats the HD in my powerbook...It's given me 0 problems yet

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got her back. They put a Fujitsu in. Hopefully this will be the one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I saw your post on using the Powerbook on the bed, maybe it gets too hot there... Just a thought

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm mostly on the floor now though... and it gets cold in my room.

I'm so lazy...

T

TylerMoney

well, I am assuming that you're using it on your lap when on your bed...so there should be no excuse.....it's a friggin laptop.....and a hard drive should be able to handle it...

I've got a toshiba in mine as well....and have had no problems either.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol...
>_>
No, I'm a lazy ******* so I lay down... right now I'm at my desk... it's working yay!

S

starrin

Actually you guys may be onto something here....

I just had my hard drive replaced as well. It had several soft failures -- whereby I would let it sit for 45 minutes and it would then start working again.

2 of the soft failures I had I was sitting in the same location with a pillow under the powerbook -- I am wondering if the pillow caused a build up of heat and helped it to fail?

Of course I have used it in bed on countless occassions whereby it was on the bed not in my lap and not a problem.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Starrin, I assume you do this. If you place your laptop on a bed or pillow, just be sure the vents are not covered. I normally place my laptop on a stiff surface, like a book of something, except in my lap.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I make sure non of the vents are covered.
I need a table... lmao.

T

TylerMoney

Well, if you're not going to use it on your lap...I would suggest using it on a table/book/bed tray...ect.

that allows for the air to escape...and all that jazz....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.