Problems with opening PKG files

Reaction score
I can't open pkg files. My installer just says default. And I read somewhere you could insert the Mac OS X install disc and the choose archive and install - but it isn't there when I insert the disc!! Please help me!!

Reaction score
If you want to open package files on the install disk to install any apps, download the free Pacifist from version.com or macupdate.com, among other sites.

You need to use Pacifist because it installs all the app files to the proper places on the Mac.

To open packages on your Mac, right-click the file and choose Show Package Contents.

My install disk might be different from yours because mine is going on five years old. After clicking the arrow at the bottom right one screen past the licensing info, there's an Options button at the bottom that when clicked shows the Archive and Install option.

You have to put the DVD in the machine, then restart it while holding down the C key, so it will will start up from the DVD.

(You have to hold down C rather than D because Apple's installers were on CDs before DVDs came along.)

OP
R
Reaction score
When I try to open the package it just says pacifist default. Have I not installed the pacifist right?

Reaction score
This is a graphic of how to install applications that are downloaded as .dmg files. It's an old Firefox install, but Pacifist would work the same way.

When it's installed, you can drag the files still on the desktop to the trash, where one will "eject," as if it's a drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay now I have opened the package but I can't find options. The window which appears contains to "headlines" - Package Contents and Resources. Is this wrong?

Reaction score
"Options" doesn't apply when using Pacifist, only when doing an Archive and Install.

It's been a while since I used Pacifist, but there might be a search function to find the app you're looking for. If not, you'll have to open each package to see if it's the one you need. But it wouldn't be too difficult, because, for example, you wouldn't look in Printers if you're attemping to reload Portuguese.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.