question about ram..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The easiest way to tell is to go to system info by going the blue apple in the top left corner, click ABOUT THIS MAC. In that box it will say MORE INFO. Find the one that says MEMORY. It should say what is in each bank. One slot is part of the board and cannot be removed.
They made the G4 iBook 1GHz with 128MB in the logic board as well as 256MB so I can't tell from your link.
Do you have the actual model #? It's either M9164LL/A, M9165LL/A, M94266LL/A, or M9418LL/A. Meh, I can't find where that is located on my iBook.
Resorting to this, lift the keyboard by pushing in the 2 tabs near the top right corners. Push them in and lift up but not too hard or quickly. This should reveal a sticker that says your original specs of the iBook. Mine says:
1197MHZ/768MB/ and so on.
If this says if the second part of it says 128MB, then you will have 2- 128MB sticks but if it says 256MB, you should only have the one installed.
To truely confirm this, remove the airport card, remove the 4 screws that hold that metal sled surrounding the airport card and it will reveal the RAM slot. If it is blank, you are free to install more. If not, remove the 128MB stick and install more, up to 1- 1GB PC2700 SODIMM RAM.
There should be a diagram under the keyboard on how to do all this. It's pretty easy.
Bryan

OP
chrisgrieve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks bryphotoguy. i am at work just now (on a dreaded pc)
i wil check when i get home,

thanks again very useful and answered my question.

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We're all here to help each other out.
Bryan

OP
chrisgrieve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just to let you know, i have checked my iBook and it has 256mb ram built in with one slot (under keyboard) free.

thanks again for your advice

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The built in RAM will be on the bottom side of the logic board and isn't visable when you remove the keyboard. It's actually built in and doesn't look like a regular RAM stick. Just FYI.

OP
chrisgrieve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok cheers, so when i remove the plate below the airport card i still wont see the built in ram...?

i just bought 512mb off of crucial so should have it in a few days.

thanks

chrisgrieve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.