Overheating Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
I bought this new hard shell for my BLackbook and realized it doesn't have any vents on the bottom. I've asked around from people who actually own and and they've said they haven't noticed any difference in heat increase. Just curious...

Has anyone ever experienced an overheated macbook? What happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If it's got no vents, I wouldn't put it on (personal opinion.) You're just going to make the Macbook work harder to find a way to make the heat dissipate elsewhere. Get a new hard case with vents or don't use one.
I had a Macbook and purchased a clear case that did have vents on the bottom portion of the case. I noticed the fan went on more often and longer with it on. Any case will trap in more heat. The Macbook may or may not ever overheat but why take the chance?
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hmm, I would only use the hard case for when you travel (assuming your MB is off or on standby for a short period of time).

Definitely do not use it if it has no vents. The MB is designed to release the thermal energy generated by the circuit boards through the rear vents and the external casing. Blocking the external casing is not a good idea :(

OP
Scremox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
Well the case has rear vents and do not block it at all. The bottom portion of the case howeves not does have any openings. Wow, really thanks for the informative response. Much than I would of expected. Kudos.

I did however email the company at techshell. They replied with this...

Heat has not been an issue in our testing or customer experiences...
The vents aren't blocked, so the fan is still able to blow out OK.
There is a program called smc fancontrol at http://homepage.mac.com/
holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html if you're
concerned about heat. It can even allow you to adjust the fan speed
manually, so your MacBook will run cooler

It helped a bit easing my concerns.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.