Front Row DVD Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Just now I've tried to play a DVD in Front Row two times in a row and both times it just freezes on a black screen and I have to force shut down my computer in order to get it running again. Sometimes when I play a DVD in front row the screen also displays very strange and scary pink and green images, like an old Nintendo system used to do back in the day when it froze or freaked out. Most of the time it works fine but these little things scare me, after posting this I'm going to try for a third time to play the dvd and hope it doesn't crash my system again. This appears to be a Front Row problem because DVDs work fine on every other application. Can anyone help me? Is there something I could try resetting to fix this? I tried repairing permissions. Thanks.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
And now I can't view movie trailers for some odd reason, I get the sound and no video. What the heck is up with my front row? Does anyone have any suggestions?? please? lol

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A black macbook core duo. Nevermind about the trailers thing, a restart fixed that, but the DVD thing still worries me.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another force shut down on another frozen DVD caused me to come back here...does any one have any idea at all?? Thanks...

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Argh.

I'm starting to get really fed up with this. Does anyone have any suggestions at all? Is there some preference file I should try deleting? Here is a bad cell phone photo of what my monitor looks like when front row crashes:

4z9z49z.jpg

Just like a frozen Nintendo from the 80's...

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought out of blind hope I would bring this topic up again, because I'm still having this problem. I'm wondering if some sort of odd codecs I installed in quicktime are causing this? Does anyone know how to completely reinstall quicktime and/or delete codecs so I can test my theory? Also, here is an updated photo of front row going nuts on my monitor:
5z5c5rb.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
have you tried repairing the disc permissions?
(applications > utilities > disc utility)

i'm not sure if you can reinstall front row from the original disc's.
if you can, i would advise that, if not. my only suggestion is reinstalling os x

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally, a response! Thanks! I'll try reinstalling front row from the disks...if that doesn't work I don't really want to have to reinstall os x....I'll probably call apple care...but thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i know reinstalling the os sounds kind of scary, but if you back everything up (for good measure), and do an archive and install, or a fresh install if you really want to (a better way to go) it's actually quite easy. i do it once every couple of months too keep my computer running as good as it can.

lol just thought of asking this
have you ever been able to play a dvd?
if so, it may just be a corrupted file, and a reinstall should solve everything
if not. give ol' apple care a call :p

also, as a side note.
to make your posts easier to read, you should attach your images with the attachment tool when writing a post. it makes it a clickable thumbnail, and makes the page a lot easier to read.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just reinstalled front row and repaired permissions, and everything seems good for now, but this was a problem that would happen about 1/3 of the time so who really knows...but it was worth a shot. (So that answers your question, yes I have been able to play a dvd.) If this problem comes back I'll post here...

Thanks for all your help, ki99, sorry about the image size, I didn't realize there was an attach tool, but I just found it so I'll definitely use it from now on.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah.....the problem is back. I guess it's time to do a fresh install of the OS...boo. Should I just wait until Leopard to do this since I'm going to buy it anyway?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.