Word...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - the white one :)...IPod Video 30 gig.
I'm a noob to this website (and mac's obviously), so please bear with me if this is in the wrong area. This is best place I figured it belonged.

I am in the process of writing a book, and was doing so on Word (my self publishing company requires the text in .doc format) before I switched to my Mac.

With that said - I have office:mac for a 30 day trial, and was just contemplating whether or not to purchase it after the trial and keep my book on the mac, or just go with iwork (pages), and just export it as a .doc file (I've heard this is possible) and just periodically transfer these files onto my desktop PC and use that as the base for the book.

If anyone understood that ramble, some advice is appreciated. lol. Thanks!

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
I don't know about iWork's saving/exporting capabilities, but you can download NeoOffice if you want something like Word. It's a free Office style suite, and the word processor can save as .doc.

Check it out here:
http://www.neooffice.org

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
^^^ couldn't have said it better my self :Cool:

NeoOffice is Free, and it works great. Saves in the same format as MS Office, and it comes with alternatives not just for Word, but for Excel and Power Point as well.

I see u r from Bayonne, NJ. I used to Live in West New York, NJ. Welcome to the forums

Reaction score
If you decide to go with MS Word for Mac, find out first whether there's a switch-platform discount. Some companies offer it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, thanks a million guys. I freakin love this machine. lol.

Mina, I work for the YMCA in Hoboken - and the program I run is based in Edgewater right off of River Road. I know that area very well... actually on my way that was in less than an hour.

Small world.

Thanks again,
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Office 04 is not Universal and runs slower than you would expect on Intel machines.

Office 08 comes out in October/November and runs at full speed on Intel.

I'd use NeoOffice, which is free, and wait until later in the year to buy Office 08.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alexis, good to know. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.