• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

serial number

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
My kid had her place broken into tonight and one of the things stolen was her ibook. (yay back up) The ibook was registered so is there a way to get the serial number from apple? The orginal receipt has three ibooks and is not broken down to individual machines.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You could always give Apple a call and try to find out. Though I'm not sure how much good it'll do in tracking the machine. :(

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could always give Apple a call and try to find out. Though I'm not sure how much good it'll do in tracking the machine. :(

I actually had thought of calling them, just been searching their site. I'll try in the morning, thanks. And it's not to track, it for the police report and so if it is found they know it's hers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I guess it could be possible but what will it accomplish? A lot of people have to be selling stolen merch on eBay and such sites without fear. A serial number really doesn't do much these days.
I've recently had the tires and rims stolen from my car (it was sitting on 2 bricks when I went to go to work a few weeks ago) and now last week 2- 14" LCD screens for the iBooks in my sig went missing from the lobby of my building. The police won't do anything because there really isn't anything they can do unless the thief is magically caught. And the post office won't own up to it. It sucks and I feel your pain but it's one of those things you just need to suck up and get over.
I serial # could help if that 1% chance happens and someone finds an iBook though.
Sorry for kids loss.
Bryan

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it could be possible but what will it accomplish? A lot of people have to be selling stolen merch on eBay and such sites without fear. A serial number really doesn't do much these days.
I've recently had the tires and rims stolen from my car (it was sitting on 2 bricks when I went to go to work a few weeks ago) and now last week 2- 14" LCD screens for the iBooks in my sig went missing from the lobby of my building. The police won't do anything because there really isn't anything they can do unless the thief is magically caught. And the post office won't own up to it. It sucks and I feel your pain but it's one of those things you just need to suck up and get over.
I serial # could help if that 1% chance happens and someone finds an iBook though.
Sorry for kids loss.
Bryan

You are right the chances of finding are slim but we are dealing with (most likely) a crack addict. The burglar missed a bunch of stuff. I guess the cops just want he serial number so that if they do find it they can trace it back to this crime.

Nice this is this morning the Canadian Refub store got a bunch of macbooks. Might have to be a nice dad and buy her a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Yeah, chances are slim, but don't give up hope. Good luck, keep us posted.

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update. Since I have the original boxes I found a serial number. However, I bought 3 ibooks at the seem time and I sold one of the. I didn't know that the serial numbers were on the box so I didn't match them up. Either way cops figure it is on its way to Russia. Still hopin though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.