Does Macbook Pro/Macbook memory have to be matching?

Reaction score
If I get a MacBook Pro or Macbook with 1GB memory, does the memory have to match if I buy another 1GB ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
the notebooks are outfitted with two 512 mb sticks (2*512), and not just one 1gb memory stick, so it'd be best to buy two 1 gb sticks. there are some threads that recommend the best cards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
the notebooks are outfitted with two 512 mb sticks (2*512), and not just one 1gb memory stick, so it'd be best to buy two 1 gb sticks. there are some threads that recommend the best cards

Acash, a little correction there. Macbooks have two 512's, lower Macbook Pro has one 1gb...

So for the Macbook pro with 1gb... you just need another 1gb stick, pretty sure they're DDR2 PC5300 667mhz(someone correct me if I'm wrong)... brand doesn't matter.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score

That stinks. Event he MacBook Pros with 3 slots? Apple charges way to much to upgrade the memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
That stinks. Event he MacBook Pros with 3 slots? Apple charges way to much to upgrade the memory.

Macbook Pro's do not have 3 slots. The configuration for 3gb's would be (1 quantity) one gigabyte and (1 quantity) two gigabyte stick. In other words, two-din.

Edit: Read above... I think you missed my post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
There is also the endless debate on whether or not the CPU gains a performance boost or not with matched pair RAM. I know that we don't HAVE to match RAM anymore (remember when we did?!), but for symmetry's sake, and it makes sense, I would recommend matching your RAM. Honestly, aside from being able to say you have the best specs, who needs 3 GB RAM on a MacBook Pro? If you're going to be doing enough video editing/sound sampling to require that much RAM, I think it would be in a studio with a Mac Pro and a 30" Cinema HD display. :D

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
who needs 3 GB RAM on a MacBook Pro? :D

The base Macbook Pro comes with 1GB of memory. I plan on using Parallels, and it works better with 2GB RAM. Apple wants $175 to upgrade to 2GB...crazy. I can buy another gig for under $100, but it wont be "apple" RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I can personally highly recommend the Corsair Value RAM available from NewEgg.com. I've used my 1 GB sticks (I have 2 of them) in both my MacBook and my MacBook Pro. They've never failed, they're fast, and it cost $200 for the pair of them ($200 for 2 GB). Since this was last July when I bought them, they can probably be had for cheaper now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I can buy another gig for under $100, but it wont be "apple" RAM.

A lot of 3rd party manufacturers make arguably better ram than what apple uses. Corsair and Crucial are very good and can be had at rather inexpensive prices. Even at retail stores you can find PNY and Kingston 1gb sticks on special for less than $70.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.