Help! MacBook to Tv, Picture perfect, but no sound!

Reaction score
Okay, i have my macbook connected to my hdtv with hdmi cables, the video shows great using dual and mirroring monitors but i can't get the sound to work if my life depended on it!

Please help me!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The reason you can't get sound coming out of your TV is because you haven't hooked up the Macbook's sound port to the TV. The video out on the Macbook is just that, video.

Check to see whether your TV accepts a 3.5mm audio jack, the type that's on headphones. If so, then all you need is a simple male-to-male 3.5mm cable (you can pick them up real cheap at local electronics stores). Connect one end to your Macbook's headphone jack and the other to your TV.

Now, I know that the Macbook also offers optical audio out, but I'm not sure how one would go about hooking that up. Perhaps somebody else can shed some light on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Check to see whether your TV accepts a 3.5mm audio jack, the type that's on headphones. If so, then all you need is a simple male-to-male 3.5mm cable (you can pick them up real cheap at local electronics stores). Connect one end to your Macbook's headphone jack and the other to your TV.

If I'm not mistaken the better route would be to buy a Y-Audio to minijack connection. 3.5mm output on one side will go to your Mac's "headphone connection spot" and Left and Right audio inputs go to TV... like this.

FUL1_AV20604-XX.jpg

If you want higher fidelity sound, as Kash said you could hook up a fiber optic cable... assuming your TV has the connection, or you have a capable receiver, you would need this ------> http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/toslink/
It includes a 3.5mm adapter!!
int_toslink03.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.