Macromedia Flash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hmmm,
So, I thought I'd look into buying Flash as I'm starting to learn how to do web design. Correct me if i'm wrong but is Macromedia Flash 8 not available on Mac? I've found something called Flas CS3 for a few hundred dollars, but I thought Flash would be easily available. Am i being niave, and/or dumb?!
Sim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Adobe just updated their product line and Flash was part of that update, so now instead of Flash 8 you have Flash CS3 Pro. It's the same program but with some updates.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, cool, and of course it's available for Mac, like all there products, but it was wierd, every page i found had specs for PC only. Kind of freaked me out.
Thanks. S

Reaction score
Hi!

I wouldn't suggest Flash for starting into web pages. Flash shouldn't be used to do web pages, Flash is for simple animating not for web pages. :Angry: Flash is ONLY to pimp the web page, or for stuff like banners.

I suggest you to learn HTML first and then flash. HTML its really easy, also I recommend to learn CSS.

Oh! I almost forgot. CS3 is the new flash version, Flash 8 is the previous one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flash can be used for web pages if done tastefully, there is absolutely nothing wrong with learning flash for web design. HTML and CSS are also good things to learn, in edition to Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would agree that you should bone up on HTML and CSS first.

Flash, however, is much more than a simple animation tool. It is very much an application for creating and designing interactive media, which (at their very base function) is exactly what websites are... an interactive form of media.
Flash can be used to incorporate multimedia into a web site, such as audio or video. Think of things like YouTube/Google Video, the MySpace audio player, A site can be designed completely with Flash, and if one is competent with ActionScripting, the file size can be brought down to its most minimal level. This would allow the page to load quickly and respond just as fast as any HTML/CSS-based site.
The problem with Flash is, most people don't use ActionScripting as often as they should. This is what makes some Flash-based sites take forever to load, sluggish once they do load, and an overall bear to deal with.
ActionScript can be a bit difficult to understand for a novice. It can even be a challenge for those seasoned vets as well. Yet, if one is adept with web design using JavaScript, ActionScript is not that far of a stretch to comprehend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would agree that you should bone up on HTML and CSS first.

Flash, however, is much more than a simple animation tool. It is very much an application for creating and designing interactive media, which (at their very base function) is exactly what websites are... an interactive form of media.
Flash can be used to incorporate multimedia into a web site, such as audio or video. Think of things like YouTube/Google Video, the MySpace audio player, A site can be designed completely with Flash, and if one is competent with ActionScripting, the file size can be brought down to its most minimal level. This would allow the page to load quickly and respond just as fast as any HTML/CSS-based site.
The problem with Flash is, most people don't use ActionScripting as often as they should. This is what makes some Flash-based sites take forever to load, sluggish once they do load, and an overall bear to deal with.
ActionScript can be a bit difficult to understand for a novice. It can even be a challenge for those seasoned vets as well. Yet, if one is adept with web design using JavaScript, ActionScript is not that far of a stretch to comprehend.

I think that is the best way to describe flash, especially in terns of web design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I wouldn't suggest Flash for starting into web pages. Flash shouldn't be used to do web pages, Flash is for simple animating not for web pages. Flash is ONLY to pimp the web page, or for stuff like banners.

I suggest you to learn HTML first and then flash. HTML its really easy, also I recommend to learn CSS.

Oh! I almost forgot. CS3 is the new flash version, Flash 8 is the previous one.

Well, it's easier to do a site in Dreamweaver, but a site can look very funky if the whole thing is done in Flash.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, this is just what i needed. After posting this, I found another thread in which EVERYONE is slamming Flash. I have just started to learn HTML, so was curious about Flash for further down the line. So, yeah, I'm going to go down the HTML,CSS route first as I'd like to get really proficiant in it. Check out the other thread if you're interested. "What is the point of Flash on web pages?". CHeers again..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.