• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Size

Reaction score
So I put this video on my hard drive from my camera and I used Popcorn to turn it into a divx file to actually view it. Now I'm using MPEG Streamclip to cut it and trim it and what not but when I export it in an .mov file it makes a huge file. The whole movie as a divx was like 600mb and for like 2 minutes of .mov is like 200mb. What is the closest file size to divx when I export out of Streamclip?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
First, what file type is it before you make it divx?

2nd, you can probably use MPEGstreamclip to view it in it's original form, and edit it there.

3rd. You can use iMovie to edit it also, and it will make a large project file, but when you export you can choose .mp4 and make the aspect ratio, bitrate, and audio quality setting the way you want, so that it won't bee too large a file.

MPEGStreamcliip is probably exporting it at full quality, not compressed, which is what I'm sure you are used to seeing in .mov, .avi, .mp4 etc.

Best,

Brian

OP
J
Reaction score
Well when I record it from the camera to the computer it records it as an mpg. But it comes up with an error says movie could not be played. So I use popcorn to make it playable and I found that if I do it in divx then the audio and video are in sync together. If I try to do it as a .mov off the bat the they are not in sync together. And when I try to view it in streamclip as its original then it doesnt show anything, it just runs through the video with no sound or video. If I put the whole thing in iMovie it will take forever cause the video is like 60 mins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
try ffmpegX to covert from the DivX to mp4 format, and see if it is still close to the same size.

Once you install ffmpegX to the applications folder, you will have to download three more pieces of software (codecs) and put them in the places that it looks for them, or tell it where you put them.

then use it and see if it will do it.

If not, I have had great success with Visual hub to conver avi to .mp4, but it costs like 20 or 30 bucks.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You could probably simply take the original mpg file from your camera and run it through VisualHub (worth the $$$ btw) have i convert it to MP4 and have it work fine. I've done this a number of times and it makes life a lot easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.