Question about buying instore before splashing the cash!

G

GreenMacUser

Hi Everyone.

I previously have had a PowerBook G4 but didnt get on with it. That was then, this is now.

So.... I dont have £900 in cash at the moment ;) I realise you can get credit at these stores. Thats all good. However if I drop down to the store, can I get configured with 2GB RAM because I really dont want to have to bin 1 GBs woth or RAM so to speak.

Reaction score
They will have to order it if you're configuration isn't in store as is. You don't mention *what* you're going to buy, but guessing it's a notebook, you prolly won't get it right away. If it's a Mac Pro, they might be able to build it for you.

OP
G

GreenMacUser

Doh Good point yogi. Being skint, I was gonna go for a macbook, the white base model as I really cant be bothhered paying £150 extra for 200 MHz and a DVD writer. I may just hold off a few months and pay cash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
GreenMacUser:

Not sure if it was during Christmas or not, but during one of my trips to the Apple store they mentioned that they had a few of their most popular custom configurations ready for in-store purchase. I think they had a config with extra RAM, or a bigger hard drive. It's worth a call to the store to find out, in any case.

Reaction score
I got my MBP with more RAM in the store. After I payed for the book they opened my MBP, put in the extra 1GB RAM and the upgrade was even cheaper than getting it in an online store...

OP
G

GreenMacUser

Well Chaps, thanks for that. However 2 things:

Times change. Just sold one of my websites for $6000, so do i go PowerBook ;) and secondly the RAM is a LOT cheaper from Crucual. Basically for half the price of the 2GB upgrade on Apple site, I can get the same from Crucual.

Reaction score
Yes Apple keeps a policy of storing popular configurations. They usually offer a better price for them as well. I can say this because I could've gotten my iMac from Amsterdam in 3 days, but I wanted an English OS X and with a Swiss keyboard which, for some reason (don't ask, sounds illogical to me to), they had to import it from Shanghai.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
if you already have a computer with enough RAM in it, you could just swap the RAM over to your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
You probably shouldn't be doing that, the RAM used in your mac may be a different type than your current computer (Then you wouldn't be able to use the old computer, anyway!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.