Superdrive...REALLY worth the extra $$$?

J

Joeytpg

ok, i was reading a few post on the apple.com discussion forum and some people were saying that the Superdrive isn't REALLY worth the 200 bucks!....i mean.....i'd like to know your own opinon..........how many of you here REALLY give the proper use that the Superdrive is intended to......it's great if it comes standard on the machine you bought.....but is it really with paying the extra 200 bucks apple asks if you "add" it to an already "combo-ed" machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Do you wanna burn DVDs?

OP
J

Joeytpg

i'd like to, but then again.....sometimes the human mind WANTS to do something...but it doesn't mean you're REALLY gonna do it AS MUCH as you think.....so if i don't buy it.....i can save a a lot of money....and then if i want to burn dvd's i can buy an external dvd.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That's a very good thought, or even borrow one if it's gonna be a rare thing... Also I hear the notebooks get real hot burning CDs...

OP
W

WilliS

personally, i use mine.

but i agree...it came with my machine...

although i would have added it if it didnt.... (i was making a godly computer...not some wussy machine...so the best had to be in it)

i burn dvd's all the time... if you wont, i wouldnt spend $200 extra on it.

then later if you do want one, get an external or something...and that way you can read and write at the same time....because the one thing i really hate is only having 1 disk drive... i cant multi task for the life of me. if im burning a 1x dvd-r, for 45min my only cd-rom is being used... which is poor design on apples part...i have a dual processor.. **** if i cant do 2 things at once

oh well hehe

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, I didn't have one before my iPod...and nobody in my house did....and it seemed worth it...I mean...a freakin 12" laptop that can burn dvds?....heck ya I'm gonna get it..and the rest is history....even though I've only burned four or five dvds in 6 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
There are two questions to ask yourself.
1) Do you have a specific need for this burner?
2) Do you have a PC or desktop Mac?

The reason I ask the second question is because Apple charges roughly twice for the Superdrive of what it's worth. So if you have a PC or desktop Mac, just buy a DVD burner for IT...for half the price.

If you just want a Superdrive 'cause it's "neato" then I'd say don't do it.

OP
J

Joeytpg

Osiris22x said:
There are two questions to ask yourself.
1) Do you have a specific need for this burner?
2) Do you have a PC or desktop Mac?

The reason I ask the second question is because Apple charges roughly twice for the Superdrive of what it's worth. So if you have a PC or desktop Mac, just buy a DVD burner for IT...for half the price.

If you just want a Superdrive 'cause it's "neato" then I'd say don't do it.

yup ...that's the thing i have a PC, and i hope in a year or so i can buy a powermac....

but i'll save the $200 on the superdrive and stick to the combo, that way i can MAYBE get the 12" powerbook...... but i don't know!!

ibook 14" 1.2 looks great too :( .but it's the screen size that worries me the most!.....is it VERY noticeable the difference between the 12" PB and the 14" ibook??

PB is a better machine i know....but the ibook rules too..and it's 300 buck less.... but i dunno! ....the screen is the one that worries me the most.

OP
S

Sundance

i didn't get the superdrive because, really i didn't see myself burning dvd's while out with my laptop... on top of that the superdrive costs $200 which is probably how much a new DUAL layer external dvd writer will cost in 6 months. so i'm going to get an external dual layer dvd writer later on... i figure my dvd writing needs aren't that great right now.

the only set back to this is that if you don't get the internal superdrive then you won't be able to use idvd...

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Wait until the blu-ray disks come out... 50 gigs on a 2 sided disk! O_O

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
It's a disk Sony is developing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Unless you plan on doing a lot of video work, transferring movies to DVD or making your own, The superdrive is kind of overkill if you ask me, I would just get the combo. You can always get an external drive if you really feel like you absolutely NEED to burn DVDs on a regular basis.

OP
P

prozach1576

Joeytpg said:
yup ...that's the thing i have a PC, and i hope in a year or so i can buy a powermac....

but i'll save the $200 on the superdrive and stick to the combo, that way i can MAYBE get the 12" powerbook...... but i don't know!!

ibook 14" 1.2 looks great too :( .but it's the screen size that worries me the most!.....is it VERY noticeable the difference between the 12" PB and the 14" ibook??

PB is a better machine i know....but the ibook rules too..and it's 300 buck less.... but i dunno! ....the screen is the one that worries me the most.

If it will be your only computer...I say go with the bigger screen. A 12" screen is far too small, IMO. How much more would it cost you to get the lowerend 15" PB? The widescreen display is possibly one of the most amazing things ever.....so much room!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.