• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Camera Buyer's Advice Needed

Reaction score
Hope I am posting this question to the correct forum . . . if not, my apologies.

Was given a Sony DCR-DVD405 as a gift. Gone through 2 third party software vendors to convert the files -- what a pain in the butt. iMovie crashes with my 20 minute file of 10 clips because the Mac won't recognize MPEG-2 clips -- it downloads it as ONE BIG FILE.

Bottom line -- I think I need to sell my camera, though only used twice. I suspect I can get $300-$400 for it.

I want to know which camera would be best for me to get that will work with my Mac and allow me to edit?

Here's what I want:
- Budget is $200 to $400
- Using camera to video tape my baby and basic "home" family stuff and RC airplanes flying, snow boarding, wake boarding, mountain biking, etc. Amateur stuff.
- Like crisp pictures
- Want a well-made camera
- Want to be able to edit easily and be creative

I like the "brains" in Canon SLRs -- included even in their low to mid level cameras. I would be happy with a mid-range video camera, as opposed to the bottom of the barrel.

I like Sony cameras and would be cool with a DCHR model. I am overwhelmed by my options.

I did see a Sony DCRH26 for $149 with full warranty that was a display model at my local electronics store, but I wonder if it would be better to get a higher megapixel camera.

I am running iMovie HD, QuickTime 7 Pro, and Tiger on the previous generation iBook.

Bottom line -- what's the best camera I can get for the money? Or would it be better for me to save up more and spend more?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me...

Advice?

- Jeremy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.