Adobe on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I used to happily use adobe / acrobat on the Windows PC but on my macbook its not going according to plan.

The software is not compatible and the only freeware I found from the Adobe site is very limited.

When I download images to my mac I don't have the nice thumbnails etc that I'm used to, and I canr seem to merge documents into one large file and converting tiff, jpegs into pdf files.

Can someone please let me know if there is a freeware program out there or are the features on my mac that I have missed?

Thanks all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
which version of acrobat did you get? Are you sure it was for mac? A few other members here have ended up downloading .exe files, and wonder why they don't work on mac. With you saying 'it's not compatible' makes that spring to my mind, especially since you seem to be a fairly new mac user. So that's one thing I think we should clear up for this situation. Secondly, are you trying to use Acrobat Professional? Were you using that on windows, and just trying to do the same things with acrobat on mac?

To view thumbnails, in Finder, go to View>Show View Options and click Show Icon Preview. That should create thumbnails of all graphic files. Hitting apple+3 will allow you to browse finder windows in column view, which will create larger previews along with detailed file info.

As for freeware PDF editors, take a look around Versiontracker.com for apps like PDF lab and Combine PDFs. These are freeware, and allow for some fairly basic, yet effective PDF editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Preview can do most of the things you are trying to do, and is also much quicker at displaying PDF files.

To merge PDFs check out one of the freeware apps dtownley1 mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Adobe Reader 8 (used to be called Adobe Acrobat Reader) = simple, free version for viewing, but not editing, PDF files. Available for Windows and Mac, with the same features on both.

Adobe Acrobat = fully featured, commercial version of the software that will do everything you have described that you want to do. Available for Windows and Mac, with the same features on both.

You have the full version of Acrobat on your PC somehow and need to buy it again for your Mac. Unfortunately it's not cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.