How to start Classic on OSX?

Reaction score
I'm new to OS X, but i've been workin on OS 9 for some time. OS X is great but I have some apps that require Classic. There is this classic enviroment in OS X but I can't get it work. Is tells me that I have to have the OS 9 system folder in my HD in Classic folder. When I tried to install it form CD it said that it can't update my files. When i copied the system folder from CD to HD it said that it won't run when copier, only installed. When I tried to boot from CD (holding C button when booting) it didn't start. I need that Classic environment but I have no idea how to make it run. Please HELP. I have OS X 10.4.9 and OS 9.22 on CD.

iBook mid 2005
G4 PPC 1,33GHz
512 MB DDR built-in
Radeon 9550
Combo
12" 4:3 screen.

OP
H
Reaction score
Once I copy the System Folder from CD it says that Classic will not start if the content is copied from CD. It says that it has to be installed from CD or copied from other HD(installed on it).

M

MacHeadCase

Why can't you run the OS 9 installer from that CD? You are talking about one of the CDs that came with your iBook, are you not? You should be able to install from that CD.

Reaction score
Once I copy the System Folder from CD it says that Classic will not start if the content is copied from CD. It says that it has to be installed from CD or copied from other HD(installed on it).

What type of Mac are you using?

I was just thinking about your Mac OS 9.2 CD and wondering if it is a System Software & Restore disc that is model specific OR a Full Retail System Sofware Installation Disc that you would need to achieve your aim. The Full Retail Software Installation Disc would have a big 9 on it. The other type is only for the model of Mac it would have originally been released with.

Please read the following quote with included Links:

Those G3s and G4s which were released prior to 9.2.1 can use the retail Mac OS 9 CD which looks like (see image). Those released later have to use the restore disks to install Mac OS 9.

You can use Article 25517 and my Identify your Mac FAQ to determine which operating system came with your Mac. In addition some machines can not install Mac OS X from anything other than their restore disks. That article explains which ones those are, and which versions of Mac OS X they can install. How the Mac OS X retail disks appear is on my Jaguar through Tiger FAQ. Other articles aren't as specific, and for those restore disk articles, figuring out which one applies to which Mac is not at presently known. You can use Charlessoft's Pacifist to extract the System Folders and Application Mac OS 9 folders to get most of the Mac OS 9 data off those disks as well. Doing it that method, may not immediately bless the System Folder to make it work, though you can use Article 106678 to get it to be blessed. Intel Macs do not come with the ability to restore Mac OS 9, however have a Sheepshaver option which may work to install Mac OS 9. For more on Intel Macs, see the Intel section of this FAQ.

images-1.jpg

OP
H
Reaction score
Oh I understand now. I don't have an original OS 9 which came with the iBook. I have some OS 9 I bought on the net. This system is dedicated to PowerBook G4. I thought that it won't be a problem but I see it is. I will have to look for sth else.

One more question. If I install this system on some other iMac and copy the installed SystemFolder to my iBook, will it help me to start Classic? Or do I have to install the system on MY iBook to make it work.

M

MacHeadCase

This is a model-specific installer so it won't work on your iBook or any other Mac, sorry. You need a retail full install OS 9 disk.

Reaction score
Hold down the Option key on start up and select CD to boot.

OP
H
Reaction score
another question. I have a retail mac os 9 but it's 9.0. To run classic I need 9.1 so what happens if I install the 9.0 ver. Will the classic update my files to 9.1 or what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.