Help on this strange problem please!

Reaction score
Hi

In the last 2 days I have experienced a very strange problem. Well strange to me! I have been a very contented Mac user for a few months now but not very techie minded so please answer in words I might understand!

The problem,

Initially I couldn't access Ebay with Firefox but could access everywhere else that I wanted. I phoned a friend and they could access it fine. Then I noticed my mail was a bit intermittent. I can receive email but not send it. I went on to my webmail and I can't reply or send new messages. It seems that I can't do some outgoing sort of stuff or stuff with CGI script (noticed CGI in the address on ebay). Although I can post on here and access banking etc so some connection things seem ok.

Where do I start? I have looked in System preferances for the obvious things like a block on certain sites etc but nothing. I tried my internet provider (talktalk) but they are as usual unhelpful.

The only thing that seems to fit is I (around the same time as the problems started) installed the system update that came through on Thursday. Could this have put a curse on me?!

Any help would be gratefully recieved - i am starting to go mad with it now!

OP
R
Reaction score
Oh - forgot to say

I forgot to mention that the mail I have set up worked fine for months. Also it is the same email as my internet provider as I have done some google searches and read that lots of providers stop 'foreign' email going through their servers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.