Parallels and Bootcamp...single XP install?

Reaction score
I've seen in several threads mention that in order to run both parallels and BootCamp requires two separate installations, but on Parallels website (more specifically in this pdf file on page 2 it mentions the ability to boot the windows 32 bit partition created with BootCamp directly in the parallels desktop.

To me this means one would have the ability to boot either OS on startup and allow for parallels virtual machine functionality from within OSX.

Am I missing something?
Some one please set me straight on the possibility of using both BootCamp and parallels from a single Windows XP install.

Confused,
Bryan

on a side note...I understand this perhaps would fit better on the software board but this board seems more active, and I'm still in the decision making process of whether or not to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
on a side note...I understand this perhaps would fit better on the software board but this board seems more active
Forum Courtesy Thread said:
So if you have the time to make a thread, you have the time to find the appropriate forum to post it in. Please use your best judgement to determine the location, and don't post in a forum of high volume (such as Anything Goes). The majority of people seem to use the Get New feature anyway, and will see your thread regardless of which forum it was posted.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here is a walk through.
Or download the User Guide here.

If you have not purchased Parallels, you might consider waiting. Already news of Parallels 3.0 on the horizon and they're taking pre-orders from existing users. Sounds like it will definitely be worth the upgrade price or the wait. Is to have 3d support now. Would think it will have better support for using the BootCamp installation also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
I've seen in several threads mention that in order to run both parallels and BootCamp requires two separate installations, but on Parallels website (more specifically in this pdf file on page 2 it mentions the ability to boot the windows 32 bit partition created with BootCamp directly in the parallels desktop.

To me this means one would have the ability to boot either OS on startup and allow for parallels virtual machine functionality from within OSX.

Am I missing something?
Some one please set me straight on the possibility of using both BootCamp and parallels from a single Windows XP install.

Confused,

Confusing is right! Reality is more so. Maybe even deceptive.

Not wanting to have two installs of Windows, and since I had already installed an OEM copy of XP and registered it with MS, I chose to do the "use Bootcamp install" option when installing Parallels. It worked, and I did not have to do another install of XP.

BUT...as soon as it booted, I was presented with a notice that "because of a hardware change (!!??)" I had to contact MS to "reactive Windows"! WHAT THE ....! What hardware change? I thought this form of Parallels install was to prevent this? Parallels gets a one-star rating on this issue! The bottom line is I had to contact MS and convinced them that I did not have an unlicensed XP and got a new activation key.

If doing it again, I would skip the Bootcamp install and just go with Parallels. If you already have a Bootcamp install, I hope you haven't used an OEM version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.