freezing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17", 2g ram, 160 g, final cut express
so its been a couple months with my new imac. and this past week i'll b runnin 3 programs : itunes, firefox, and adium, one by one one will freeze then the next and when i force quit nothing happens, sits for 15min waiting then i just shut it off manually. what is wrong?ive been editing video sometimes and it do this to me aswell.thanx in advance. also i have pro tools. and when i click on it it will hop like its gonna open then it never does. i unistalled it and re installed it, same thing. something is wrong hurrrr.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Yeah, doesn't sound great. My guess is that something became corrupted in your system. What you ultimately want to do is backup your system, fix any detectable errors, update your s/w, and as a last resort reload your system.

Imho, the most important thing you can do right now is back up your system. Save any files you do not wish to lose. Burn them to a CD or DVD, or back them up to an external drive, but back them up. You should suspect that your system is corrupted and you could lose all of your files.

After you backup your system, you should run Disk Utility and do a Verify on your hard drive. If it comes out clean, that's good if not exactly helpful to identify the problem. If it comes out with errors and you must repair via your installation media, the thread below includes a discussion on how to do that:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63755

Next, make sure you're running the latest s/w. Get the latest updates for your s/w, including the OS (Menu Bar: Apple> Software Update...), FireFox, iTunes, and Adium.

At that point you're probably going to be doing as well as possible w/o reloading your entire system. Doing a complete reload is drastic and probably unnecessary. I say "probably", allowing for a small possibility of needing to do so. If you've been running for any amount of time with a corrupted system, errors can propagate through the system, and that's a Bad Thing.

Try the other things first and post your results. Good luck!

OP
veritas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17", 2g ram, 160 g, final cut express
thnx mathogre i did everything u said. the disk utility didnt come up with anything. i updated all the software it needed. and its been 3 days since any freezing. if it were to happen again should i just reload the whole system?

edit:

25 min after i posted that. adium and then firefox froze and the comp wouldnt shut down. can i "uninstall programs" just by deleting them from the application folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
One can never know if an application is located only in its bundle within the Applications folder. There could be other files elsewhere on your harddrive that were created with the use/instalation of your software.

Give AppDelete a try, just drag the program to AppDelete an it will scower your computer for any related files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.