Hard drive and RAM

Reaction score
Why should I want more memory in these. What does it do? What will improve if I max it out? What will happen if I fill up, say my hard drive with movies and music? Please help, I am looking to buy a Macbook and dont know much about this...

J

jamesx

well, a bigger hard drive will allow you to store more data on your computer, ie. music and movies. RAM will allow the computer to run faster, like when opening programs and using programs like garage band and photoshop. 1 gig of ram is more than enough for MOST people, but if your going to be using memory intensive programs, it would be a good idea to go with 2 gigs (maxed out). as far as hard drive size, if your into multimedia, (pictures music and movies) i would go with the big hard drive which is 160gb. they also have a 200 gb but it is only a 4200 rpm hard drive, which is fine in most cases but the 160 gb with faster rpm will be faster. i hope this kind of helps. also, you might want to do a search...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
If you are doing movies and videos you would need more RAM as recommended by Apple. I have a black MacBook with 1GB RAM and some applications freezes if there are multi applications opened and having more RAM would reduce that.

With the HD, you can always buy an external HD that has more GB if you run out of space in your internal HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
If you get an external, it will most likely be formatted NTFS. You can get MacFuse and the NTFS driver so you can write to your drive, or if you format it FAT32, then you can read/write with OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.