Will it hold up ??

X

xr600

Hi...

I'm thinking of replacing my 12" ibook with a 15.2" PB, because of the bigger screen... however, I am a bit concerned if it will withstand the daily routines. I am a student, whitch mean that the book will be spending quite a bit of time in my backpack, and at times even with weight on top of it !, my ibook seems to deal with this just fine, but what about the PB ??... the feel of the machine tells me that it is a bit more fragile than the ibook, but is it actually so ??. And how about the surface (cosmetics), is it as durable as the ibook ?? :).

BTW, the machine I'm looking at is the 1.25 Ghz... way too expensive for my budget... hmmm...

Regards.

Torben.

OP
T

TylerMoney

the powerbooks are extremely durable....though because there is more surface space, and more weight...I would just make sure you got some sort of sleeve for your computer...or invest in a new backpack made for 15"laptops...that way you have the best of both worlds.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Definately get a sleeve if ur getting a PB. Or if u buy a brenthaven backpack, u get a built-in sleeve that u can use seperately, and no worries about durability too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
and if there will be weight on it be sure to get a keyboard cover to use when the lid is closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'm sure it will hold up fine. I've seen some roughed just a bit without flinching :)

OP
X

xr600

ThanX for the replies...

... Guess I'll be going for it then ;).

One last thing... has anyone got hands on experience as to how much less uptime I should expect from the PB compared to my 12" ibook G4 ??. I mean, if I squeeze the ibook I can get around 6-6:30 h. from it on a charge... what should I expect from a 1.25 PB ?? :).

Regards.

Torben.

OP
T

TylerMoney

well, it all depends....I don't know if the newest batteries are better or not...but I get around 2.5-4.5 hrs on mine, depending on use....I'd say an average of 3.5hrs...which is still really good for a laptop...and people have been talking about getting much more than that out of their machines....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
The iBook is much more durable and sturdy than the Powerbook. Apple said they designed the iBook for students and the Powerbook for professionals. In testing, they dropped the iBook, stuck it in a freezer, had a kid jump his skateboard off of it, and then had several kids carry it around for a day in their backpacks and beat the snot out of it. In the end, the iBook was just fine with no damage.

Next up was the Powerbook. They dropped it, and it broke. End of test.

I have a Powerbook and I love it...but if you get one, get a case for it. Don't just stick it unprotected into your bag. ;)

OP
X

xr600

Useful info :)

Osiris22x said:
The iBook is much more durable and sturdy than the Powerbook. Apple said they designed the iBook for students and the Powerbook for professionals. In testing, they dropped the iBook, stuck it in a freezer, had a kid jump his skateboard off of it, and then had several kids carry it around for a day in their backpacks and beat the snot out of it. In the end, the iBook was just fine with no damage.

Next up was the Powerbook. They dropped it, and it broke. End of test.

I have a Powerbook and I love it...but if you get one, get a case for it. Don't just stick it unprotected into your bag. ;)

What exactly do you mean by a case ?, a "flightcase" type of thing, og just a "scratchbag" ?...

I must admit that I like my ibook alot, and am a bit doubtful about if the Powerbook is right for me. The major drawbacks on my G4 ibook (the reason I'm considering the PB), are mainly the keyboard (too "loose", I tend to type "double letters"), the screensize (I know about the 14" ibook, but think it's too big), and the fact that I can't put put more than 640 mb, RAM in it (means that if I wan't to run e.g. VPC on it, it gets sloooow). '

Still I'm not quite sure if these arguments are good enough for a "switch"... I do take good care of my laptops, but the fact is that I'm going to be bicycling with the thing in my backpack 25-30 km. just about every day, and I am afraid that the PB will end up a mess in a months time...

Regards.

Torben.

PS. Has anyone got any experience as to if the PB is really picky with the RAM ??. I considered moving the 512 mb. from my ibook the the PB, and I can't remember if the darn thing is pc 2100, or 2700...

OP
P

prozach1576

Get a Booqbag. I just got one. It has a backpack with a 15" PB compartment, and came with a standalone sleeve that also fits in that compartment. Excellent protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
xr600 said:
What exactly do you mean by a case ?, a "flightcase" type of thing, og just a "scratchbag" ?...

No, a proper sturdy backpack/carry case like the Brenthaven one. Go have a look at their website.

xr600 said:
Has anyone got any experience as to if the PB is really picky with the RAM ??. I considered moving the 512 mb. from my ibook the the PB, and I can't remember if the darn thing is pc 2100, or 2700...

Powerbook is PC2700.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Well I bought myself a nice thick case from the Mac Store that fits nicely in my bag. The next day I had to slam on the brakes in my car, and my laptop hit the dash board at about 40 mph. I quickly pulled it out to see what the damage was, and it didn't have a scratch on it. Definitely don't get a thin case, you need something with cushioning.

As for RAM, I've put strictly Corsair VR PC2700 in my Powerbooks and have had perfect results. Keep in mind that you need to get RAM that has the correct timing and non-parity specifications. If the RAM's speed doesn't match the system, that's not a problem, it just might not perform the best.

xr600 said:

I must admit that I like my ibook alot, and am a bit doubtful about if the Powerbook is right for me. The major drawbacks on my G4 ibook (the reason I'm considering the PB), are mainly the keyboard (too "loose", I tend to type "double letters"), the screensize (I know about the 14" ibook, but think it's too big), and the fact that I can't put put more than 640 mb, RAM in it (means that if I wan't to run e.g. VPC on it, it gets sloooow). '

Still I'm not quite sure if these arguments are good enough for a "switch"... I do take good care of my laptops, but the fact is that I'm going to be bicycling with the thing in my backpack 25-30 km. just about every day, and I am afraid that the PB will end up a mess in a months time...

Regards.

Torben.

PS. Has anyone got any experience as to if the PB is really picky with the RAM ??. I considered moving the 512 mb. from my ibook the the PB, and I can't remember if the darn thing is pc 2100, or 2700...

OP
L

lzasitko

Booq

prozach1576 said:
Get a Booqbag. I just got one. It has a backpack with a 15" PB compartment, and came with a standalone sleeve that also fits in that compartment. Excellent protection.

I have a Booq Powersleeve coming for my 12" PowerBook. Looks well padded. When I bought the computer they gave me a Mareware Sportfolio II but it does not have a lot of padding, better then none but I want something that is going to really protect it. Ripoff makes a case for my Newton 2100 and it is very well made and looks almost new after 5 years use. The padding in it has certainly helped a lot. The Booq Sleeve looks similar and better padding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.