WRT300N not working with g3 iMac

Reaction score
I have a Linksys wrt300N router at my house that i cant connect to from my iMac. My Mac detects the network name as well as that it requires a password but when I enter the password it says something like "Unable to connect to wireless network." The password is detected as WPA Personal, maybe that's why I can't connect. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Linksys wrt300N router at my house that i cant connect to from my iMac. My Mac detects the network name as well as that it requires a password but when I enter the password it says something like "Unable to connect to wireless network." The password is detected as WPA Personal, maybe that's why I can't connect. Thanks!

You're comment about the password being detected as WPA seems to indicate that you aren't actually using WPA. What encryption are you using?

OP
S
Reaction score
no i didn't mean that it was set up as something different, i meant that the dialog box that shows me the network, where i log onto it says that, thats how the network was setup (WPA Personal)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
no i didn't mean that it was set up as something different, i meant that the dialog box that shows me the network, where i log onto it says that, thats how the network was setup (WPA Personal)

It's important that your router is setup to use a specific type of wireless security and that you know which type you're using. Don't rely on the connecting computer to automatically determine the correct encryption type.

Log into your Linksys router and check the wireless security setting. Make sure it's set to WPA (or better yet, WPA2) and set a new password. Then attempt to connect to it with the Mac, manually choosing the type of security you've set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.