are dmg files needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
hi,

i have a lot of software on my computer and still have alot of dmg files dotted about the place, can these be deleted now the software is installed???

thanks

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
Hi, yep you can go on ahead and Trash 'em. I actually have a folder full of 'em that I keep just in case.

OP
chrisgrieve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers, i have some which i want to keep aswell but others that i havent used in ages.

thanks again.

chrisgrieve

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I keep a downloads folder, with 3 other folders inside:

Installed, Installed and Removed, Not Installed

Just gives me some tracks to see what all I've done to the system and have backups for everything I may want in the future, just in case.

Reaction score
I keep a downloads folder, with 3 other folders inside:

Installed, Installed and Removed, Not Installed

Just gives me some tracks to see what all I've done to the system and have backups for everything I may want in the future, just in case.

Good system!:)

OP
chrisgrieve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where in Scotland are you?

Pulse-8 i am from Aberdeen. where you from??

thanks again for the feedback on dmg's

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
hello, i am about to make the jump from PC to mac by buying an imac 24" beauty!! is a dmg file the equivilent to windows' setup installers?

[i have alot to learn!]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Interesting avatar u got there Shmendal :D

Welcome to the Forums.

To answer your question yes, .dmg files are the equivalent to .exe files for Windows on Mac.

When you get that Monstrosity of an iMac let us know, its One Bad iMac, I had the pleasure of playing with one in an Apple Store.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
hello, i am about to make the jump from PC to mac by buying an imac 24" beauty!! is a dmg file the equivilent to windows' setup installers?

[i have alot to learn!]

Similar but different. A DMG is a Disk Image, like an ISO on the PC. You double click and it mounts as a drive icon on the desktop. Inside is usually the application, and all you do to install in a most cases is drag the application out of the DMG and drop it in the Applications folder. Then you drop the open DMG in the trash and it un-mounts. Sometimes there might be a setup file in the DMG which you run to install the application, but most are just the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
Thanks alot for the info! Im quite an advanced user on windows so I should pick it all up reasonably quick!

Yeah my Avatar is cool! Finder has a taste for someones blood I think! haha

I should/// scratch that, WILL be buying that monstrosity in July some time!! and I cannot wait, Im afraid as much as a Windows user as I am, I didnt feel this excited whilst buying my Vista laptop!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.