Firefox Update Problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Hi,

I just installed the new Firefox 2.0.0.4 update, and ever since there has been a big blank bar at the bottom of the Firefox window, please see image below. Not too sure why its there or how to remove it either, anyone else having this issue? annoying and a massive waste of screen space.

Reaction score
Try removing the Status Bar in the View menu and see if that does anything. If you place your mouse cursor on that line just above where it says Done, do you see any change in the cursor?

OP
MacBurg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turning off the staus bar does not get rid of it, and no change in cursor when its around where you mentioned. Also now I am having problems quiting Firefox, when you quit the window closes but the prgram still hangs open, and force quitting is the only way. I just deleted firefox and re downloaded it, then installed, but same problems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just updated and it's fine here. Went to the page you showed in your screen shot and have the normal status bar at the bottom. Tiger 10.4.9 here in iMac G5 iSight.

ff.gif

OP
MacBurg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A web browser is a web browser and thats the way I like it, and for this reason Ive never looked into any plug ins or extensions, but for some reason after installing the update I clicked on "Add Ons" to check them out. I downloaded the Growl extension because I use that program, but nothing else, maybe this could have something to do with the blank bar?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure on Growl but I do not have it in Add Ons here.

Reaction score
If you have only one or a few extensions/add-ons, it's easy to check to see which is the problem. (The grey bar is a textbook symptom of an extension problem.)

Go to Tools/>Add-ons in the menu bar. You may have to click on an extension to see its buttons. Click "Disable" and restart Firefox.

I have 21, so it's a bit more complicated when there's a problem. I disable half of them and restart Firefox. If the problem is gone, I know the cause is one of the newly disabled extensions. I turn half of those that I turned off back on, and restart Firefox again, and continue the process of turning half of the half on or off (and restarting Firefox each time), to home in on the troublesome extension.

Anyone still running OS 9 or remembers its extension-conflict horrors knows the process only too well.

OP
MacBurg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Managed to solve the problem, I removed the Growl add on and restarted firefox, and the bar is gone. Cheers Brown Study, no more add ons for me.

Reaction score
. . . no more add ons for me.
Oh, no, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You'll lose too many benefits.

There are as many different people writing them as there are extensions, so their coding isn't in lockstep. One conflict doesn't mean they all will. You'll lose too many benefits — AdBlock, BlockSite, NoScript, SmoothWheel, easy pipelining. . . .

OP
MacBurg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe if you've got a minute you could name a few of the most functional add ons you use and exactly what they do? Would be appreciated as Im already pretty happy with the way firefox runs.

Reaction score
If you start out with one or two and don't add any more for a while, rather than loading a bunch at once, you can more easily isolate a problem. It would likely be the most recent extension you installed.

Pipelining is tweaking the browser so it's faster. There are a couple of extensions that do this, but it can be done to extremes, swamping sites' servers. This one, Tweak Network, is simple, effective and not rude to servers. You'll notice a speed increase.

SmoothWheel was the first extension I discovered, way back with OS 9, and it put me off all other browsers but Mozilla's from that moment on. Scrolling is as smooth as screen credits sliding past in a movie. This link is to the author's home page. The version listed at Mozilla's extensions site might be too old to install in the most recent Firefox.

You could try SmoothWheel the way it arrives. If scrolling it too slow, go into its preferences, click on advanced and fiddle with its controls. At the moment in Advanced, mine's set to High; High; 5 steps; 1/3 step. (The faster I use the wheel, the bigger the page-scroll jump.) The top of the download page has a link to the SmoothWheel Home page that explains it.

Right now, I'm running Adblock (not Adblock Plus that can litter pages with little Adblock labels and not Adblock Filterset.G Updater (which, itself, should not be used with Adblock Plus), AniDisable, BlockSite, Clear Private Data, CustomizeGoogle, DownThemAll, FastDic, Firebug, Full Screen, Menu Editor, MIME Edit, Mouse Gestures, MR Tech Local Install, NoScript, OpenBook, PDF Download, PrefBar and User Agent Switcher.

Some come and go. In the process of writing this, I deleted a few I never bother with, such as FoxyTunes. I always forget it's there.

This link is to the Mozilla site extensions. Another, less well-known, is here. There are extensions at this site not listed on Mozilla's. Contrary to appearance, you don't have to log in. At the top left there's a link to Firefox extensions, and there's a search box farther down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.