Parallels SP1 to SP2 upgrade problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I have SP1 installed on my Parallels VM. I figured I would update to SP2, but every time I try to install I get a nasty "data is invalid" error in the middle of the installation, causing the installation to pause and revert back to SP1.

My first question is if anyone knows how to possibly remedy this problem (yes I do have the most up to date version of Parallels and I have 1GB assigned to the VM).

My second question is if SP2 is even necessary considering I am only using Parallels to run a few programs that will only work on Windows.

Thanks! ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have SP1 installed on my Parallels VM. I figured I would update to SP2, but every time I try to install I get a nasty "data is invalid" error in the middle of the installation, causing the installation to pause and revert back to SP1.

My first question is if anyone knows how to possibly remedy this problem (yes I do have the most up to date version of Parallels and I have 1GB assigned to the VM).

My second question is if SP2 is even necessary considering I am only using Parallels to run a few programs that will only work on Windows.

Thanks! ;D

Are you installing SP2 from Windows Update or from the actual full SP2 package? If the former, try downloading and installing the full package. This way, you're not reliant on having a constantly-running Internet connection.

Secondly, no, I don't think SP2 is really necessary if you're only running XP once in awhile. However, I believe most of the latest updates (including the DST update patch) require SP2, so you can expect a bit of weirdness if you choose not to install it.

OP
rpmgatech
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I downloaded SP2 to install it instead of using the online update method and it worked. Thanks.

For future reference, you must go to the download to install on multiple computers and then run the .exe file in order to update to SP2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.