• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

dv - importing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i have a sony dv camera and i would really love to have the video on my macbook. i'm not very camera orientated, but it says it is a Sony HandyCam DCR-HC26. the only mac options the disc that came with it had was burn to vcd. i need the video on my hd, and hopefully an easily editable format (in imovie) please help me.

Reaction score
I have a Sony Handicam HD. When I connect the firewire to my MacBook Pro I can view my disc, but I have no way of importing it to my HD. My Camera is a DCR-DVD403-NTSC. I guess we're both having the same problem.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
Same boat here. I have the DV108 camera. I can watch the dvd but that's it. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
OK. Found a solution.

I downloaded a program called HANDBRAKE. You can find it here: http://handbrake.m0k.org

It converts DVD to MPEG4, which can be editable with your imovie or final cut.

I was able to get my movies off my video camera and on to my mac no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
If you have minidv camcorder and you can hook it up with a firewire cable, then do that and run iMovie. You will then see the your camcorder hooked up to iMovie. Then you click import and the video will play on your computer and let it go all the way through the tape. And bobs your uncle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
then im stumped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
a Sony HandyCam DCR-HC26.
Seems you need a firewire cable. The review I just saw on this camera showed it to be minidv tape model. I guessing it has an iLink interface which is Sony's brandname for firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as long as you have a firewire cable with a 4 pin plug on one end and a 6 pin on the other you should be fine. I dont know if they make a 9 pin plug one but if you can find it it may be better.

Reaction score
as long as you have a firewire cable with a 4 pin plug on one end and a 6 pin on the other you should be fine. I dont know if they make a 9 pin plug one but if you can find it it may be better.

i just tried that and it doesnt work. as my camis 4 years old i thought maybe have to start looking for a new cam, but now i am getting scared that my Imac purchase was a wrong descision as it seems almost no cameras are really compatible with Imac's, unless you are willing to take several side steps each time, which in turn makes and Imac just more problematic then a pc to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No the iMac is definitely a good choice for movie editing if you are not doing anything professional. It may be the age of your camera that is the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.