Laptop and External Monitor Connectivity

Reaction score
My new work have an unlimited budget and have basically told me I can get any computer I want.

Because I'll have my iMac at home and I will be travelling from office to office I was thinking of getting a Macbook Pro and an external monitor but have a few questions regarding them.

1. Would I be able to hook the macbook pro and an external monitor up together and run dual monitors?
2. Would I be able to hook the macbook pro to the external monitor and use the external monitor screeen only and the mackbook pro as the actual system?
3. Would I be able to do both of the above but use an external keyboard and mouse instead of the laptop keyboard and finger pad?

Any help appreciated.

Liam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes.

I wish they were all that easy....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Well, if we NEED to have a little expanded discussion in here, I guess we can...;)

When you hook up the external monitor and keyboard/mouse to use the MBP just as the system, you'll need to boot up as normal, connect the peripherals, close the lid (letting the computer go to sleep), then use the external keyboard/mouse to wake the computer back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Can't you just do a ... Fn and F7 or w/e the screen key is? That should work should it not? With projectors it's the way to put it on both screens, or either or ...so i'm guessing it's the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Can't you just do a ... Fn and F7 or w/e the screen key is? That should work should it not? With projectors it's the way to put it on both screens, or either or ...so i'm guessing it's the same.

You can do this, but this requires that the screen of the notebook stay open...I was merely suggesting the other method so he could keep the MacBook Pro closed and safe from harm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
you'll need to boot up as normal, connect the peripherals, close the lid (letting the computer go to sleep), then use the external keyboard/mouse to wake the computer back up.

Actually, I use my MBP this way with the Apple bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse and monitor connected, and all I do is hit the power button and close the lid immediately. Works just fine and no need to wait, put to sleep, then wake up again.

Reaction score
You can do this, but this requires that the screen of the notebook stay open...I was merely suggesting the other method so he could keep the MacBook Pro closed and safe from harm.
If you want keep you MacBook Pro Cool try to Installing smcFunControl
Small App and Perfect for MacBook/MacBook Pro ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.