• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem in output movie file for HD video in final Cut Pro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an animator who uses final cut pro to do all my editing. I usually use photoshop to do all my drawings, and transport them to final cut pro for editing. I was trying to experiment with making HD animation by making my stills the size of 1080 x 1624 ( the HD frame size) and putting them in final cut. I edited the stills as usual, and I output my video using Quicktime compression to High Quality for video on the web. Here comes the problem: The image is squashed, with black bars on two sides and the image not in the proportional frame size. Does that have anything to do with my chosen frame size of the stills ( 1080 x 1624)? Is there anything I can do to change the frame ratio to the right proportion? Or should I change the frame ratio back to 720? Are there any particulat settings I have to set for outputting HD video?

Thanks for reading! Any comments are appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.