iMovieHD won't quit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 C2D, 2 gig RAM
Hope someone can help on this. I've only had my MacBook (2.16 C2D, 120 gig HD, 2 gigs RAM) for less than two weeks, and it's been fantastic. However, I just noticed a problem with iMovieHD.

The app works fine while running (so far, haven't really done anything with it), everything seems OK, until I try to close/quit. At that point, although all windows close, iMovie shows almost 100% in the Resources column of iStat Pro. My CPU temp goes way up (70+ C), and my fan revs up to almost 7000 rpms to cope. In the Dock, I see the little arrow on the iMovie icon indicating that it's still active.

When I right-click on its icon in the dock, there is no quit option, just “Force quit.”

I'm still getting familiar with this machine, and with OSX in general. Everything else on my machine works great. I'm just concerned that this hiccup might begin happening in other apps, etc. Is this a real concern?

I've installed all the latest updates and such. All comments welcome.

Reaction score
Hi, at this point in time, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just continue to enjoy your MacBook.

It appears that iMovieHD needs a little help in quitting from you. This happens. The Force Quit option in the contextual menu tells us that the app has stalled and won't shut down until you force quit it.

So just select the Force Quit option and forget about it.

Another way to force quit any stalled app is to press Option + Command + Esc. This brings up a window showing all theopen apps and allows you to force quit any frozen app.

Keep an eye on things but at this point in time just continue to enjoy and explore your new MacBook!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the response. An archive and install did the trick.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!

I should add that everyone I spoke with at Apple was fantastic -- very helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.