Recent PC convert in deep HD trouble

Reaction score
HELP REQUIRED - I am a seasoned Apple veteran of all of 4 days and have been loving every minute of my switch from PC. That was until this morning when I discovered that I have filled all bar 7.5 GB of my 120 GB HD..and with what?

I transferred my itunes library which is suppose dto be 6.8 GB (although the music folder tells me that it is storing 30 GB).

Additionally, I transferred 11.5k photos into music folder before importing them to iPhoto. The folder tells me that I have over 50GB worth of photos which I know not to be the case.

As the Apple appears to be working well, I don't consider there to be a issue with the hardware and put this down to UIE (unavoidable idiot error). With Windows, I could have sorted this out easily (but without the fun) but I am a little stumped as to what I have done wrong.

I have a feeling that I have duplicated both music tracks and photos but don't know how to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jayz:(

Reaction score
Run a Spotlight search of a known music or photo name and see if more than one shows up. If so, all the music duplicates probably would be in the same folder, and all the duplicate pix in another. Then trash the folders containing the duplicates. You might even have triplicates.

Reaction score
The original folders that contained your photos/music prior to you importing them into iPhoto/iTunes .... are they still on your HD?

Did you allow iTunes to organise your music? If so, then once the songs are imported, iTunes has the lot filed away in it's folder structure. The original folder would be regarded as a doubling up of your music collection.

The same goes for iPhoto. Once I import my photos into it, I delete the originals as iPhoto catalogues the imports and just displays alias' in the main iPhoto Library Window.

The OS would occupy around about 20GB but even if you have duplicated your music/photos it still would leave you with way more than the reported 7.5GB.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks - I did that and have SIX (6) copies of the same photo that have this information:

1) /users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/data/2003/copy of 2003_09_28 (52kb)

2)/users/jay/pictures/copy of 2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

3) /users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/originals/2003/copy of 2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

4)/users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/data/2003/2003_09_28 (52kb)

5)/users/jay/pictures/2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

6)/users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/originals/2003/2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

It appears that i have 2 distinct groups of 2003 photos, the second being a copy. Which photos can I delete?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks - I did that and have SIX (6) copies of the same photo that have this information:

1) /users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/data/2003/copy of 2003_09_28 (52kb)

2)/users/jay/pictures/copy of 2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

3) /users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/originals/2003/copy of 2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

4)/users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/data/2003/2003_09_28 (52kb)

5)/users/jay/pictures/2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

6)/users/jay/pictures/iPhoto library/originals/2003/2003_09_28 (1.4MB)

It appears that i have 2 distinct groups of 2003 photos, the second being a copy. Which photos can I delete?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks all - I have just wiped 55 GB of information off my system without issue.

Much appreciated

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've found OmniDiskSweeper to be invaluable for situations like this where I'm uncertain as to where all of my drive space is being eaten up.

Check it out.

Reaction score
55 gigs of duplicates? Any chance they exist on your PC, as well, without you realizing it? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
nah...

NO, that problem from my personal experience is only with the mac. Sometimes the os will make triplicates of things, and even when you have deselected the copying feature in advanced settings for itunes it will still do that. ANNNOYINNGGGG !!! :( i simple feature in itunes stating: remove duplicates would solve the entire problem, but I guess nothing is perfect not even a mac, although for me it is pretty close ...;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's never happened to me, but I keep iTunes bare nekkid of art, don't have an iPod and ban the store.

Never happened to me, and I've got some 20GB of music.

Reaction score
i simple feature in itunes stating: remove duplicates would solve the entire problem, but I guess nothing is perfect not even a mac, although for me it is pretty close ...;D

I've run into trouble randomly deleting dupes in iTunes.

After deleting some dupes I realised that I was left with incomplete alias' and iTunes couldn't find the originals as they had been either moved or deleted earlier.

What I'd taken as duplicated files were really a combination of a playable file and a broken alias. If I'd tried to play both, iTunes would have placed an exclamation mark next to the orphaned link. I felt like a dupe!

When I click on Show Duplicates, I check to see that both copies actually play, check that the one I want to save is stored in the iTunes Music Folder and the copy I want to keep has all the data complete. It's only then that I go ahead and delete the unwanted dupe.

So, after going to all this trouble to ensure my Library is complete, a Remove Duplicate option would be the equivalent of my pressing the Delete button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Remove Duplicates is dangerous for me, as when I ask iTunes to show me my library's dupes, it only catalogs duplicates by artist and track name. Being the DMB buff that I am, I of course have 30 different live recordings of the same song, so it shows 30 duplicates when indeed they are all individual files.

Beware of the remove duplicates command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.