OSX Eject button on Keyboard

Reaction score
When putting a CD into my drive on my iMac I used to be able to press the eject button on my keyboard (top right) and the CD would come out. Now for some reason, it just isn't working.

Has anyone else had this problem and has managed to fix it, or has any ideas how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hold down the button.

OS 10.4.9 introduced this annoying feature for some reason.

OP
L
Reaction score
wow - very annoying indeed. *** was the point in that?!

Thanks alot!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Hold down the button.

OS 10.4.9 introduced this annoying feature for some reason.

That's actually a feature?

I though it was just me being clumsy. What a dumb idea . . . can it be changed back to how it used to work?

Reaction score
. . . can it be changed back to how it used to work?
I investigated to see whether it could be changed back, but all I did was create a mystery.

I ran an EasyFind search to see see if there was any toggle-type command to turn instant eject on and off.

Three of the files it hauled up are hdiejectd.plist, hdiejectd and Eject.menu. The rest are png files. I could open the plist with TextEdit, but that showed nothing except a "true" that presumably could be changed to "false." But changing it to false probably would nuke the eject key. So with TextEdit, I opened hdiejectd, then Eject.menu.

Neither showed anything obvious, so I closed them. But now I have a brand-new disk-eject icon in the menu bar. Clicking it opens and closes the disk tray whether there is a disk in it or not. But I haven't a clue as to why this icon appeared.

It resembles the icon that can be added to a Finder window bar, but that icon works only if there is a disk in the tray. I can move the menu-bar-eject icon if I hold down the Command key, so I could pull it onto the desktop to get rid of it, but I'd prefer to leave it.

I just don't know how it got there and how to put it back if I yank it.

Deepening the mystery, TextEdit won't open the two files anymore from EasyFind.

From Eject.menu in EasyFind, the only choice to open it is SystemUIServer (default). Nothing happens. If I choose Reveal in Finder, the choice is SystemUIServer (default) again. TextEdit says "File not supported."

Terminal and X11 are the only choices to open the other one, hdiejectd. I can open it with TextEdit if I choose "Reveal in Finder" and open it from there, and it shows almost-English in a few places. Terminal says "permission denied." I have X11 installed, but nothing happens when I choose it.

What am I missing that might be blatently obvious? Short of that, how did I put the icon up there? All Apple's Help says is:
Click the Eject icon in your menu bar, if there is one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The icon got in your menu bar from "Eject.menu". If you look, there are several unused menus in the same folder on your HDD all of which can be enabled by double clicking them. I stumbled across this a few years ago (in 10.3 IIRC) and have been using it ever since.

Reaction score
For heaven's sake! Thanks, baggss! I command-dragged the icon off the bar, double-clicked Eject.menu, and it reappeared.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The icon got in your menu bar from "Eject.menu". If you look, there are several unused menus in the same folder on your HDD all of which can be enabled by double clicking them. I stumbled across this a few years ago (in 10.3 IIRC) and have been using it ever since.

Good one Baggss as always! :D

Good one Brown Study on the Easy Find. Works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I shall have a play with that later. But there's no way to get the keyboard to do as it used to (or did I misread that, and it does)?

I'm actually quite tempted to drill a big nasty hole in the front of my computer so I can poke the eject button on the DVD drive myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually quite tempted to drill a big nasty hole in the front of my computer so I can poke the eject button on the DVD drive myself.

That wouldn't matter or work. Pushing the eject button on the drive will not pop a disc out if it is still mounted on the desktop. If you unmount the disc in OSX, it opens the drive, unless you do it through disc utility (unmount) in which case pushing the drive button WILL pop the disc out. It would only really be handy if the drive is empty and even then you wouldn't save much time, if any, over just holding down the eject button the keyboard for 5 seconds.

This one of those areas where you have to forget how the PC does it and just do it the Mac way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It was better how it used to be though...

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was better how it used to be though...

:)

Meaning how it was on the Windows PC? That's subjective, but OK. It was never that way on the Mac. Ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That wouldn't matter or work. Pushing the eject button on the drive will not pop a disc out if it is still mounted on the desktop. If you unmount the disc in OSX, it opens the drive, unless you do it through disc utility (unmount) in which case pushing the drive button WILL pop the disc out. It would only really be handy if the drive is empty and even then you wouldn't save much time, if any, over just holding down the eject button the keyboard for 5 seconds.

This one of those areas where you have to forget how the PC does it and just do it the Mac way.

Well, I wasn't actually being serious, but it'd still be useful for those times when OSX 'loses' the disc. Save rebooting.

Reaction score
wow - very annoying indeed. *** was the point in that?!
for people on laptops who were constantly hitting the eject button instead of the delete button and were getting annoyed by the noise it makes when trying to eject a non-existent disk

e.g. me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I wasn't actually being serious, but it'd still be useful for those times when OSX 'loses' the disc. Save rebooting.

Oh. I've discovered that in most of those cases disc utility can still find it and eject it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meaning how it was on the Windows PC? That's subjective, but OK. It was never that way on the Mac. Ever.

it was new in 10.4.9 apparently. I didn't know that, but I knew the dvd was suddenly 'flaky'.

there should be an option. mine's not a laptop, i don't need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it was new in 10.4.9 apparently. I didn't know that, but I knew the dvd was suddenly 'flaky'.

there should be an option. mine's not a laptop, i don't need it.

I didn't know if he meant in 10.4 or on Windows. I agree about it being a pain though, but it's not that big of a deal imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know if he meant in 10.4 or on Windows. I agree about it being a pain though, but it's not that big of a deal imo.

No, it's not life changing, and I can see it's a good thing for laptop users.

Just seems it would have been pretty simple to make it configurable. In terms of ergonomics, having to hold down the eject key is quite a big change. It goes from being a subconscious flick to a conscious interruption to whatever you're doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.