Connection problem with linksys WRT54GL

Reaction score
I'm having connection problems with my linksys router. On my macbook pro i'm able to pick up the wireless signal but when i try to go my web browser i get no internet. I also have a windows computer connected to the router directly and i also can't get internet access too. This started to happen a week after i upgraded the firmware. The router is only 6 months old. I tired talking to linksys live chat and they told me my modem isn't able to sync with my router. They told me how to sync again it but i tired it still doesnt work. Can anyone shed any light on my problem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm having connection problems with my linksys router. On my macbook pro i'm able to pick up the wireless signal but when i try to go my web browser i get no internet. I also have a windows computer connected to the router directly and i also can't get internet access too. This started to happen a week after i upgraded the firmware. The router is only 6 months old. I tired talking to linksys live chat and they told me my modem isn't able to sync with my router. They told me how to sync again it but i tired it still doesnt work. Can anyone shed any light on my problem?

Sounds to me like the router isn't getting DHCP from the modem. What happens when you attach one of your machines directly to the modem? Have you spoken with tech support for your ISP yet?

OP
B
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the router isn't getting DHCP from the modem. What happens when you attach one of your machines directly to the modem? Have you spoken with tech support for your ISP yet?

When I attach my computer directly i get internet. Your right about my router not getting the DHCP from the modem. i checked the DHCP status on the router and everything is all 0's. i tired to renew it but it wont renew. My ISP is comcast.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I attach my computer directly i get internet. Your right about my router not getting the DHCP from the modem. i checked the DHCP status on the router and everything is all 0's. i tired to renew it but it wont renew. My ISP is comcast.

Start with your modem turned off (unplug the power cord to be sure). Then, unplug the Linksys' power cord as well. Plug the modem back in and let it initialize (about 30-45 seconds), then plug in the router. It should work.

I have the same router and have no problems with the latest firmware. I'm guessing it's something quirky with the modem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107.. U are the man!!!!!! everything is working fine now.. thanks

Cool. That sort of thing happens from time to time with Comcast. Usually that's exactly what Comcast tech support will tell you to do first.

Glad to hear it's working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.