deleting files

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This is my first post :)

Ok so I wanted to know something. I use a memory stick to place my mp3's on to listen in my car or any other files for school and so on. Now when I select the files in it and delete them, they don't actually delete. In the folder it looks like everything is gone but in fact, they are still all there, just hidden.

This is horrible because once i delete something, there is no more space for anything new to add on it. The reason I noticed this, is because i put the memory stick on a pc and noticed that it creates a hidden folder called "trashes" and keeps everything in there. Now i know its a whole hassle with the hidden files and such...but besides being able to see those folders is there any other way to delete these files and it ACTUALLY being deleted???

Thanks
Nikki

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, nikki_k.

Like kilo says, simply empty the trash on your Mac and it will free up the space on your memory stick.

Putting files from an external device in the trash on your Mac does not delete them: it just puts them elsewhere but, as soon as you pull out your device, the files are reattached back to it. I hope I'm being clear. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
ahhhh so simple! lol That's the thing about Macs, everything is very simple....if you know how to do it !!

Thanks a lot ;D I've been quite annoyed going back and forth from my Mac to my pc.

M

MacHeadCase

Glad it got sorted out. Don't hesitate to ask if you have anything else you need help with. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.