HDD Swap and keep data?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just bought a lovely new SATA 160GB HDD for my Macbook. Before swapping it out, I was wondering if anyone could think of a way of getting all my data on and off old to new HDD. I could probably put it all on an external HDD, but how do I get it on to the new disk drive once the new drive is in the macbook?
Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all,
I've just bought a lovely new SATA 160GB HDD for my Macbook. Before swapping it out, I was wondering if anyone could think of a way of getting all my data on and off old to new HDD. I could probably put it all on an external HDD, but how do I get it on to the new disk drive once the new drive is in the macbook?
Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

I used a USB adapter to hook up my new drive via USB, then used SuperDuper to copy the data from the one drive to the other.

OP
G
Reaction score
If, for example the data is going from a Macbook to an internal drive on a pc, can I still use Superduper to do this? Or something else?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If, for example the data is going from a Macbook to an internal drive on a pc, can I still use Superduper to do this? Or something else?

I haven't used SuperDuper to do that, but I believe it can. Alternatively, you can use Disk Utility to make an image of your hard drive and then copy that over to your PC.

OP
G
Reaction score
Right, i've got my SATA HDD, and External USB2 HDD. Superduper just does it's stuff does it? Then I can boot from External with new SATA installed and just copy across, ditch the external and hey presto?!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, i've got my SATA HDD, and External USB2 HDD. Superduper just does it's stuff does it? Then I can boot from External with new SATA installed and just copy across, ditch the external and hey presto?!

Yep, that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Glad I found this b/c I had questions about the same although mine involves an MBP.
Question though, how do I boot from the external? Do I need a certain key combo when I boot up my MBP or will it recognize that I only have os x on 1 drive.

Thanks for any clarification!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad I found this b/c I had questions about the same although mine involves an MBP.
Question though, how do I boot from the external? Do I need a certain key combo when I boot up my MBP or will it recognize that I only have os x on 1 drive.

Thanks for any clarification!

Hold down the option key when you power the machine on and then select the device you want to boot from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.