Should I, Shouldn't I?

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be going to Uni in September to do Primary Teaching and I am looking into getting a laptop. I have only had Windows computers at home and really like the look of the Sony Vaio C2S, C Series. Although, my boyfriend loves Macs and is trying to persuade me to get a Macbook.

In truth the Mac is a better laptop but i really like how the Sony looks. I know i should focussing more on the specs and they both seem good for me.

I will be using it to do essays and other basic things so I amin't looking for an extremely expensive one.

The thing I am worried about most is how the Mac will work with Uni. I will need to download lecture notes and might even have to do presentations linked to projectors.
Will Macs work with all this?

Also, I know that i could get bootcamp if i do need Windows for something but will that slow the laptop down once all the programs are on?

You are probably biased to Macs but honestly, what is Vista like?

I am confused on what to do!!!
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Hi,

I will be going to Uni in September to do Primary Teaching and I am looking into getting a laptop. I have only had Windows computers at home and really like the look of the Sony Vaio C2S, C Series. Although, my boyfriend loves Macs and is trying to persuade me to get a Macbook.

In truth the Mac is a better laptop but i really like how the Sony looks. I know i should focussing more on the specs and they both seem good for me.

I will be using it to do essays and other basic things so I amin't looking for an extremely expensive one.

The thing I am worried about most is how the Mac will work with Uni. I will need to download lecture notes and might even have to do presentations linked to projectors.

Also, I know that i could get bootcamp if i do need Windows for something but will that slow the laptop down once all the programs are on?

1. Beyond aesthetics, compare the two computers based on specs, HDD size, amount of RAM, processor type and speed. If you don't know much about these things, print them out and take them to a computer tech and ask them what they mean, or post them here, and ask.

2. Compare prices once you know which computer offers more in the way of specs.

3. Macs are made for presentations hooked up to projectors, monitors, tv's, flat panel tv's and anything else of that sort. They have adaptors for everything, and Keynote, the OS X version of PowerPoint, is honestly 10 times better.

4. Microsoft makes Office 2004 for OS X, with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and a mail program.

5. Can't think of any other issues you might have except utter disappointment that you didn't buy a mac...(ha!)

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Hi,

There's not such a huge gulf between a Windows machine and a Mac - the Mac will certainly do everything the Win machine will, one way or another.

I sincerely doubt you'll find any reason to regret choosing the Mac. Compatibility issues are all but history now - perhaps it might be worth a quick check to see exactly how a computer is supposed to connect to this projector, but even if it uses some freaky propietary software for Windows, yes you can use bootcamp, and no, it's not HUGELY slow, it's just not quite as fast as a standard Windows box under some circumstances. [edit - see posts below, this isn't actually correct]

My only real concern would be to make sure you can connect it to the network where you'll be. There is certainly no hardware or software reason why you can't, but you're going to need the help of the IT dept at the Uni, and if they decide they don't like your Mac . . well, you know how IT depts can be.

Like you say, they both seem good for you. I don't think you'll find either is bad for you either. The Vaio is a capable machine, as is the Mac. Either will do a good job.

If my arm was twisted, I would say the Vaios have had a reputation for being a little fragile in the past. I believe they're better now but everything else being equal, that'd be enough for me to go for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

No, Macs can't do basic tasks, that's why we all use them ;)

Yeah, recently, Macs have pretty much become totally compatible with Windows, I'm sure it would be fine.

Reaction score
get a mac and install bootcamp with xp....stay away from vista for now......check out my blog on vista not too good right now.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
...but even if it uses some freaky propietary software for Windows, yes you can use bootcamp, and no, it's not HUGELY slow, it's just not quite as fast as a standard Windows box under some circumstances.

I disagree here, i've run windows in parallels, bootcamp, and natively on a x86 box, and it is faster in bootcamp than native, and sometimes even in parallels.

Brian

Reaction score
I love it. And for some reason I am the only one who gets wireless signal in my class room of 6 laptops(pc). The battery life is a huge plus. You know how it is having no charger at school. The charger is a thing of beauty as well. Its just a bit bigger than a cell phone charger. One of the main reasons why I went with apple was its compatibility with everything. In a pc you need drivers for everything you plug in. Not the case in the macs. Whatever you plug in is read instantly by the computer. If you want to hook it up to a projector all you need is a $19.99 adapter thats the size of a small phone. The mac also brings a remote so that in itself is very helpful for presentations. These things are absolutely perfect for school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree here, i've run windows in parallels, bootcamp, and natively on a x86 box, and it is faster in bootcamp than native, and sometimes even in parallels.

Brian

Depends what you're running it on. A quad Xeon will run a Windows application faster than a P4 2.8ghz, for sure, bu it won't run it faster than a Quad Xeon in a Windows PC.

There's an extra layer between the application/OS and the processor on an Intel Mac. It's called Rosetta.

If you're moving from an older Windows machine to a new Mac, you'd probably never notice it though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Rosetta has NOTHING to do with running Windows on a Mac. Rosetta is an emulator in OSX so older Power PC applications can run IN OSX on Intel hardware. XP under bootcamp is running full speed just as it would on a similar Windows machine with the same specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rosetta has NOTHING to do with running Windows on a Mac. Rosetta is an emulator in OSX so older Power PC applications can run IN OSX on Intel hardware. XP under bootcamp is running full speed just as it would on a similar Windows machine with the same specs.

So I misundertood that. Apologies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So I misundertood that. Apologies.

Not a problem at all. Just wanted to be sure everyone understood. Hope my post did not seem mean or anything. Just did not want the OP thinking XP ran under Rosetta. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem at all. Just wanted to be sure everyone understood. Hope my post did not seem mean or anything. Just did not want the OP thinking XP ran under Rosetta. :D

No, of course not.

If I switch my brain on, it make far more sense anyway. Why would an Intel chip need a translator to run Windows . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey SGH1,

Welcome to the Forums first of all :D

I've been a long time Windows user, just like some of the folks around here. I recently switched to Macs and I had similar concerns about compatibility with my day to day tasks and OS X which I knew nothing about.

Through some intensive research and a lot of help from the Wonderful, helpful people on this Forum I found out there is nothing that can't be done on a Mac and so I proceeded with full speed and I got my Black MacBook, and let me tell you I couldn't be happier :Cool:

Hooking up to any Network, unless it has to do with VPN networks (Which I don't think any school has) is a breath. VPN is still easy to setup but I don't think that u'd be concerned with that for now. IT Department at any school should have at least ONE person who knows all the configs necessary for a Mac if that is at all needed (which again from my experience will not be).

Presentations, again like it was mentioned above are very easy. You have a heck of a lot of options that you can go with. You can always buy the MS Office Mac version which includes Power Point. Also if u dish out the extra $80 when u r ordering ur Macbook it will come pre-installed with PAGES and KEYNOTE. Pages is a Word Processing application much Like MS WORD but in my humble opinion is a lot better for the basic needs of taking notes and writing ur papers and I really like the interface on it a lot better than MS WORD. Keynote is the Apple alternative for MS Power Point and again I think the interface on it is great and much better, plus its very easy to use and straight forward. Last but not least you can ALWAYS download NeoOffice which is a FREE (yeah you read it right, FREE :Cool:) Open Source Office alternative which combines all of the above, a lotta people around here use it. I personally use it every now and then but I much prefer Pages and Keynote. Keep in mind that if you aren't sure, Your new Mac will come with a 30 day trial of MS Office as well as Pages and Keynote, called iWork by the way as a package. (Not 100% sure about the trial for iWork but I believe it does.)

Lastly, about styling, honestly I haven't seen a Sexier looking laptop than my MacBook. I went with the Black one and I am LOVING it. It has some very neat styling and the Nice Bright Apple illuminating on the back is just Coool ;D.

Sorry for the long post :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

If you REALLY want to nitpick about it, Windows, in theory, will run FASTER natively through bootcamp than it will on a Wintel machine, because of the absence of BIOS. Though this has more to do with boot up times than anything else, I think it still boosts performance modestly everywhere.

All said, my MacBook Pro boots/runs Windows XP Professional faster than ANY of my Windows laptops ever did.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed on how fast the EFI Firmware posts and boots up Windows. That part flies.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well thanks everyone!!!
I think i have made up my mind and will be looking into buying me new...................................................................Macbook in the next month!!!!! :D
Not keen on Vista at all and having played on it in one of the shops, it really isn't that interesting.
So i will let you know how life with my new Mac goes.
x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Well thanks everyone!!!
I think i have made up my mind and will be looking into buying me new...................................................................Macbook in the next month!!!!! :D
Not keen on Vista at all and having played on it in one of the shops, it really isn't that interesting.
So i will let you know how life with my new Mac goes.
x

Excellent choice, sgh1! Be sure to come back and talk to us again! Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.