Public [or not so] WAP's: A Discussion

W

WhitE_RabbiT

Well guys, the weather here in Pittsburgh has finally taken a turn for the better. Fortunately for me, I have off from work today. I was thinking about how much I'd like to go outside with my PB and just browse the internet. Wouldn't it be great to go to a local park and just surf, while enjoying the weather? Obviously, this is unlikely. After all, I doubt I'll be able to get any WAP signal in the middle of a park.

Anyway, this brings about the topic of my "discussion." Where have you guys found there to be public, and private (yet accessible) access points? Is there anywhere that you guys go to play? Anybody here from Pittsburgh that knows of any specific places?

I was thinking, I could also probably go to Pitt's campus, or even better, CMU's. I'm sure I could find a signal around there.

Well, feel free to post some input on where you've found WAPs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
www.wifinder.com is where i find my places

Most college campus's require you to log on to access the wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Also good places can be found near Starbucks coffee places or Borders and Barnes and Noble and maybe near libraries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i use MacStumbler for testing signal strengths

OP
T

TylerMoney

WhitE_RabbiT said:
Well guys, the weather here in Pittsburgh Is there anywhere that you guys go to play? Anybody here from Pittsburgh that knows of any specific places?
I was thinking, I could also probably go to Pitt's campus, or even better, CMU's. I'm sure I could find a signal around there.
Well, feel free to post some input on where you've found WAPs.

-Hey there White RAbbit. where in pittsburgh do you live?...I live on the South Side, and go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (not always proud of it..but hey). I have wireless in my house, and almost all my friends houses that I go to, there is wireless. I haven't found any outside anywhere....oh wait...you can go to the BeeHive, they have free wireless if you buy a drink...and I think they have some outside spot...not sure...never been there if they do. Other than that..I know places lik U Pitt and Carnegie have them...but not just anyone can acces those....

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

I live in the north hills. Gibsonia to be exact.
i have wireless in my house as well, but you know, always looking for somewhere interesting to go

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.