MS Office Genius... HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
alright so, up until now i have always kept a fishing log in a binder with a different sheet for each day, but the days of paper files are numbered (especially when you have a computer to record stuff on). Anyway, I have attatched a copy of the form I used and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make some type of template in MS office where I could just type the stuff in and "check" the checkboxes....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Depends on your level of expertise.

The immediate answer would be an Access database, but if you're not familiar with Access there's a learning curve, and I don't know if keeping these records is important enough to you to warrant climbing it.

The actual database is simple enough, that form isn't so complicated, it just has a lot of info on it. You'd have a table for each 'trip', then a subform for the results of the respective trips. The complicated part would be in making it easy enough to use. For that you'd really want to make a custom form or two, and to make them 'smart' you'd need a handle on Visual basic.

This is possibly why nobody can really answer - hopefully without sounding unkind or rude, if your knowledge of Office and its applications is such that you don't know which app to use, it's unlikely that you're going to be able to do what you want to do even if someone tells you where to start.

If you want to look at a simpler way, you could transfer the form onto an excel spreadsheet, and do it mostly manually. You can add checkboxes to Excel, but again unless you have a grasp of Visual basic, they just going to be dumb 'x's - they will just be on or off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
alright so, up until now i have always kept a fishing log in a binder with a different sheet for each day, but the days of paper files are numbered (especially when you have a computer to record stuff on). Anyway, I have attatched a copy of the form I used and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make some type of template in MS office where I could just type the stuff in and "check" the checkboxes....

Is this work or personal? Let me know and let me know exactly what you need. I can probably make you an Access DB in about an hour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Didn't read the post fully ;)

If the person wants a Mac solution, then Access won't help, since Access isn't part of the Mac Office suite.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this work or personal? Let me know and let me know exactly what you need. I can probably make you an Access DB in about an hour

no this is just for personal use, im just really sick of keeping my records on paper when it would be much faster to just type the stuff in. As the previous poster mentioned, each of these will just saved as different documents titled with the date, so i can go back next year and look at the upcoming dates so there would be no need for the checkboxes to actually do anything, excpept be checked or not checked. If i could make something in excell that would probably be fine. If anyone has some more info that would be great...

thanks, ste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
I didn't see any attachment. But Excel would certainly be the most flexible for your needs. If I saw the form, I could put something together quick for you. Are you wanting this on Win or Mac side? Normally it doesn't matter, but if you want or use VBA, then there are a few differences (Mac Office does not support ActiveX and a few other items in VBA, since it is based on VB5).

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would like it to be on mac becuase eventually (once money starts making into my b ank account and not being spent on bills, insurance, yada yada) i would like to phase out the PC listed in my sig, which is used for media only, and replace it with a mac mini... I think I am going to try out excell and see if i can get something together in there. thank, ill come back if i need some more help (which i probably will)

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any more advice? to be honest I dont understand access, database, ?? any simple solutions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.