Importance of RAM Specs in upgrading

Reaction score
Ok, I just re-entered MacLand after serveral Macless years... bought a used 15" G4 Powerbook but it only has 512MB of RAM and I think I need more.

I know, when upgrading PCs, the RAM specs don't make a difference as long as they are better than your current memory.

The RAM in my Powerbook are 2x 256MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM. I don't have to buy the same speed, do I?

When upgrading I can get a Kingston 1GB 667Mhz SODIMM? As long as it is pin compliant IE also DDR and not DDR2, it doesn't matter that it is 667Mhz does it?

Thanks
snazzed

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A faster clock speed rating of the RAM sticks will not matter, they will all run at speeds slower than their rating.

Everything else must be compatible.

Don't know that you will find any DDR memory faster than PC2700 though.
According to my memory (I am getting senile, so could be wrong), the top speed memory for DDR is PC3200. This was also the starting point for DDR2.

If you found some Kingston DDR at 667, would strongly suggest you verify this at Kingston's site, not at the distributors site.

Still don't know that I would stick that RAM in your notebook since you'll definitely not be doing any overclocking on your Mac.

edit: Yep, just checked Kington's site, they have no DDR sticks listed above PC3200.

OP
S
Reaction score
appreciated

Thanks Bobtomay. I thought that was the case, but it is good to know. I'll just make sure I get DDR1 and it'll all be good.

Thanks again
snazzed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.