Replace Motherboard on my PowerMac G5

Reaction score
I have a Apple PowerMac G5 DUAL 2.0GHZ/4GB RAM

I was told by the Apple Store that a capacitor on the motherboard was no good, and I would have to replace the motherboard to fix it.

Is this easy to do if I try and do it myself?

Any links to step-by-step instructions?

Any special tools needed?

Pitfalls?

Thanks,

aepmac:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
first off, just to inform you a motherboard in apple world is refered to as a logic board

major pitfalls: PRICE! just a link for example: http://www.welovemacs.com/6612950.html

you are going to be spending between 700-1000 for a new logic board

step by step instructions are going to basically be: unplug computer, makeing sure to have and use an anti-static wrist strap to prevent further harm to your computer, remove all the parts. unscrew logic board, replace and put back together, it should not be difficult at all

a note to consider, make sure you are 200% positive you have the correct logic board when ordering.

my own personal recomendation would be to upgrade to a new intel mac, either imac or mac pro because of the price it will cost to repair. yes it will cost you some extra money but you can also go ahead and part out your old computer either here or on ebay. you can sell your optical drive, HD, RAM, fans, case etc and get a whole bunch of money....or just sell the entire thing as one for a litttle less than you would get for parts

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
If the board is hosed anyway, is it worth getting some electronics dude to try and replace the capacitor?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.