• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

how do I copy an unprotected movie to my Macbook's HD?

Reaction score
I recently bought a Macbook. It is my absolute first Mac product. I am so green with this thing it's not even funny. Can anyone tell me how to put a unprotected movie onto my HD?

Many Thanks,
NICU RT;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I recently bought a Macbook. It is my absolute first Mac product. I am so green with this thing it's not even funny. Can anyone tell me how to put a unprotected movie onto my HD?

Many Thanks,
NICU RT;D

from where?

if it's a dvd, use handbrake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you want the full DVD, use MacTheRipper.

OP
N
Reaction score
I already have the software to rip and burn any movie. I do it on my WIndows PC. But what I am wanting to do is store the movie on my MacBook. How can I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
as in you want to transfer your files from your pc to mac via your network ,or you have a disc you want to put on your hard drive.

if you want to put a movie that is on a dvd onto your hard drive do what the two people above have already mentioned, use mactheripper(highly recommended) or handbrake (also a good program)
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing that should be mentioned, MacTheRipper Rips the Full DVD to the Hard Drive FULL SIZED so on a Dual Layer DVD 8.6 or around GB! Handbrake rips it as an MP4 or AVI and it takes way less room. Good for storing movies on the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
One thing that should be mentioned, MacTheRipper Rips the Full DVD to the Hard Drive FULL SIZED so on a Dual Layer DVD 8.6 or around GB! Handbrake rips it as an MP4 or AVI and it takes way less room. Good for storing movies on the HDD.

Exactly what I do*. I have a three year old daughter who uses DVDs for skates. Having trashed at least 50 of them, now any new one I buy gets ripped to the hard disk, and a destroyable copy made.

Toast titanium seems very drama free. You can compress the whole thing onto a 4.7gb dvd, or if you're not bothered about extras etc, often you can get the main movie onto a single 4.7gb disk without compressing at all. It's much faster if you don't have to compress it first as well.

I'm not sure about dual layers - I suspect mine will do them, but I have never tried it.

*edit - er, rereading it, that's exactly what I don't do. I store the whole DVD using MTR. I use handbrake to make mp4s for the Ipod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.