• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac Newbie Need Advice On Video Editing!

Reaction score
Hey im a video editor from the UK and a real mac newbie. I have used macs for editing before but was never aware of what specs of the systems i was using were. Now im looking to get myself an imac for video and movie production. Im on a pretty tight budget so im looking at getting one of the lower spec 17" imacs but am wondering which im gunna have to buy to get decent speeds and qualities. Is 512mb ram going to be decent? or am i better off buying the 1gb? another option is buying the lower spec and then adding in memory bought separetly, whats the general opinion on that?

i would very much appriciate any advice people could give me, however small, i really am stuck with this one and have to watch my money very carefully.....but am desperate to get my mac!

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I'd say at least 1 GB of memory. As far as the cpu speed, not much to worry about there, and then you'll want to consider HDD space. If you get a smaller drive internal, you will want a large external to save your movie projects and raw video on. They tend to take up a lot of space.

Brian

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for that, i wil be buying a bunch of new external drives for that sort of thing trying to keep the internal as clear as possible. so again as a mac newbie what is the better option for me to take...buying the 1gb 17" or the 512mb 17" and then add extra memory seperately? which might work out cheaper (again with the budget!! im so cheap!)? sorry for the persistant lack of knowledge guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I just bought mine from the refurb site, 24" with 1Gbyte already in it. I don't know how hard it is to crack the imac casing, sorry. BTW, if you haven't checked the refurb site, you should. The prices are generally a couple hundred cheaper, and they come with the same warranty and option for apple care as a "brand new" one.

Brian

OP
O
Reaction score
ahh great advice, checked on the apple refurb pages and found a perfect system that im gunna buy. thanks very much for your help, finally gunna get me one of these macs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.